VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Internet.

I kinda bought a lemon VW in the dark. (It was $1400 and I needed a nice car.)

The issues with it a relatively few though.

The doorlamps on the door do not function. They were in the beginning but they cutted out. It has an aftermarket alarm in case in makes a difference.

The battery is not charging. We checked out the alternator, and it checks out fine. The box on top of the battery has two cables that seemed burned.

The coolant tank keeps emptying out. We thought it was the water tank the first time (messed up the pump, replaced) now we put coolant, but it keeps completely draining. The last time I drove it, when I parked it, I noticed it leaking from the undercarriage where there are four (look to be like) fuel lines.

The foglight on the right is waterlogged, but it's insanely hard to remove the grill its connected to.

Parking brake adjustment?

Sagging door card fix?

Other than these issues, the Beetle is super nice. It has a touchscreen radio, tints, aftermarket alarm, etc.

After all this, I want to tune it. Any suggestions? It's a 2.0L gas motor. Preferably something on a budget. Like $100 or less. (Dual enrollment is hard enough without a job as it is.)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It sounds like you have some classic New Beetle issues;

1. charging problem/melted fuse block on top of the battery. You might replace the fuse panel and check the grounds under it, make sure the wiring harness to the alternator are ok. The fuse box melting; many times, is caused by too much current draw coming from failing components; common parts to check: worn out fans or a/c compressor or bad harness from battery to alternator (too much resistance).

2. coolant leaking under the right side of the engine/fuel hoses: sounds like your water pump is leaking. To pinpoint the leak you could put the car on jack stands or on a lift. A pressure test; would help but your are in the classic area, where the water pump is. I would recommend a full waterpump and timing belt kit, install. The car probably needs one with that many miles and age of the car. Check out these guys; for a timing belt/waterpump kit: Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts®

3. door lights; I would check fuses, the bulbs and worst case scenario, the door lock module may be bad.

4. fog light; if it full of water, is is probably broken or seals are bad. You could just replace it or remove it and see what is going on.

5. parking brake adjustment: check out the service manual procedures here:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

6. sagging door card; you could replace with a used one or remove the upholstery in the middle, reglue it and put it back together or drop it off at a upholstery shop and have them handle it..

7. Tuning; there are limited options, in the past Neuspeed made a supercharger kit for it and some have turbocharged them or chip tuned them. Its a basic reliable engine; I would get it running the best it can and call it a day. If you want performance; sell the car and get a Turbo S model, we have seen some sell for $2500-$3500 range. The Turbo S is a 1.8 Turbo with a six speed and 180 HP, sport suspension and body effects, the best of breed New Beetle made.

8. aftermarket alarm; you might want to remove that. The New Beetle has a built in alarm system and the aftermarket ones, many times just cause problems, when they stop working correctly and leave you stranded, disabling the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. I worried it would be that.
2. It's not directly under the motor, it's near middle of body. And we just replaced and sealed the water pump
3. Fuses, bulbs are good. Any sort of diy fix for lock module?
4. I want to, but the grill that it's connected to its near impossible to remove.
5. Will do!
6. Any tips for what to use for gluing?
3m interior adhesive spray?
7. If I chip tune, what increase would I be looking at?
8. Could alarm being interfering with lights?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fixer upper

Congrats, sounds like ya got yourself a good fixer upper. Nice car to have for a project it's always challenging to replace any one of it's hidden parts, we love them. We get to buy all kinds of special tools that are only for VW cars, we get to spend countless hours in the garage fixing these cars, man what a great little CAR VW made. They are great and fun to Drive, I enjoy fixing mine.
If you like mechanics, have decent amount of money and don't mind spending countless hours working on this car on weekends than you made a wise choice my friend. Good luck. :popcorn:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Lock modules; have been repaired by some with varying degrees of success long term, many people just replace them.

More info and videos:

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRsmwi6EBM

microswitches; are being sold online ebay and other places:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=replacement+vw+micro+switch+ebay

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=replacement+vw+micro+switch+

Coolant leak:

Leaks can come from anywhere; they are common on these cars, as plastic is used on many of the parts in the cooling system. The best way to find leaks; is to pressure test the system. I purchased a cooling pressure tester from Harbor Freight and it has the adapter, to work on Volkswagen cars and for most cars on the road today. Look online; for a extra 20% off coupon.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html

As far as 2.0L tuning; you might check out this FAQ on vwvortex, to get you up to speed on this engine:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?28-2-0-Liter-Engine-Forum

door panel:

I generally have had good luck with the 3M interior/upholstery adhesive, give it a shot.

alarm:

I don't know; what type of alarm you have or what it controls or does in relation, to "securing" the car, that is one of the primary reasons I remove them. As noted; when they malfunction they just cause problems, either causing a no start problem or going off all the time, driving you and your neighbors crazy. In the case of the New Beetle; it already has a anti theft system installed from the factory; so, it is redundant. The VW system; it less annoying, as it only goes off if any of the door are opened and not just, if someone touches the car (trunk, hood, door, etc.). This is a judgement call you have to make and what type of system, you are comfortable with and how "active" you want it to be. VW put a immobilizer system in the car after the year 2000 (car won't start without the correct programmed key transponder) and integrated a anti theft alarm in all of them.

If you want to learn more about the immobilizer system in the new beetle; check out this great info here: (join the site; for programming and repair info)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/i...ng-for-vw-and-audi-with-key-replacement-tips/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of mods can we do to the beetle?

Kind of like JDM, but instead it's GDM.

Example, rear fog light install like eur spec models

·
Registered
104 Posts
What esse10 says, I second the motion! I bought mine last October for a winter project, even had the previous owner follow me home, car ran great. I took the fellow home in my Jeep. I stopped and bought a new battery, still had the original, came home, installed battery, fired her up and moved it 50' to my carport and shut it down. The car didn't start again until new years eve. I traced, replaced and disgraced myself. New ECM, all sensors more than once, 3 times usually. On new years eve, I discovered the bottom center fuse had loosened itself and went down and out through to the road. All Fixed!! If the car has options, there are fuses on the bottom row, 1 option= 1 fuse. Fuse boxes to me are Square, and my fuses are nice and in a row...except for that 1 center bottom fuse...and if its not there in the first place, you wouldn't know a fuse goes there. Not my idea of a "fun winter project", but what a good feeling it is when it comes alive. But they are fun to drive, handles like a sports car. My "Poorsche".

·
Registered
758 Posts
6. Any tips for what to use for gluing?
3m interior adhesive spray?
I've personally never had any luck with 3M adhesive sprays.

When the vinyl was coming off the interior of the doors of our NBC, I used E-6000 adhesive. Here in Ohio, I can find it at any hardware store and even in our grocery's tiny hardware section. It smells rather bad until it completely dries, but it stays somewhat flexible and has held for several years so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, update time!

1. Unplugged alarm, car still functions. It was like a cheap $50 alarm.
2. Fixed issue with speaker not working. (Switched plugs around :) )
3.cleaned out coolant tank.

New question,
I see everywhere g12 is recommended

1. What makes it so fantastic?
2. Can I only use g12
3. We originally fed water through coolant tank. My dad says that can clog up the radiator. I say it can't, because it's water.
Who's right, and how can we check (and clear) radiator?

You guys don't understand how much this helps me out.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A common problem; is people mix g12/13 with non Vw spec coolant and it creates brownish looking sludge which can clog the cooling system and cause overheating, possibly damage the water pump. Technically; if you flushed out the VW coolant thoroughly; then you could put In any type you want.

When it comes to German /VW engineering; they decide what specs they need for their cars and have a coolant to meet those specs. requirements. People have found the VW spec coolant to provide superior corrosion protection and it cools well. As with anything VW specs recommends; experience has shown it to work well. The decision is up to you; I have found following VW factory recommendations to provide positive results in my cars.

The decision is yours. If you need VW coolant; you can find it at your VW dealer or the aftermarket Pentosin brand at many auto parts stores (Pep Boys and O'Reilly's have it in stock in my area).

Look on their website; for the correct coolant for your car:

http://www.pentosin.net/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I want to be safe than sorry.

1. What will I need for radiator/ coolant system flush?
2. Alternatives to g12? Preferably something similar to it, but easier available .

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here are a number of diy coolant flush links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coo...tle+diy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

As for choosing a coolant type; there are some "universal fill" coolants being sold, which seem to be compatible with a number of coolant types. That would be the most compatible with other types of coolant; as for cooling performance and anti corrosion capabilities; you might see what they recommend, for your car (aside from Vw spec G12/13).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything else I should watch out for?

I'm usually the guy who can get hard to find parts at times because Internet.

Anything that I shouldn't turn down if it's cheap?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Watch out for? I would also replace the thermostat, while are working on the cooling system. When the thermostat is out; you can check the water pump impeller for play and see if it is cracked or spinning on the shaft (stock pumps have a failure prone plastic impeller). If the timing belt hasn't been changed in a long time or looks worn, you might consider doing a water-pump/timing belt job (these are interference engine; a failed timing belt will bend the valves). Check out these guys for wp/tb kits: www.blauparts.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New day, new questions.

1. Thermostat has already been done.

2. There is a sort of fuse box underneath the dashboard, above the hood popper.
It starts with 75. What is it and if able to, what do each bolt control

How do body kits work when talking about side skirts?

What's different between us and Europe spec, and what can I add from eur spec to use on my beetle?
Can I remove all the turbo goodness from the 1.8 and bolt on to 2.0L, and if so, is it worth it?
There's a salvage beetle with the 1.8 that I have my eye on.
Parts I should get from salvage beetle in general? (Interior,exterior, etc)

Again, thanks for putting up with my limited beetle knowledge.
One day I'll be able to grace this page with help like you all have.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Its not as simple as just grabbing the 1.8T bits and bolting them up to the 2.0. You need 2.0 specific stuff. There are turbo kits and supercharger kits, but they aren't cheap by any means. The 2.0 was made to be a cheap, easy, sturdy motor. I'd leave it as is and just drive it. If you want a turbo, get the car in good shape, sell it, and buy a 1.8T. Much cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, smileybug for clarification.

But, what is the difference between euro spec and us spec Beetles?

All I've seen different is the badges and the rear fog lights.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
In general, I don't think much aside from those things. And there are different engine options. But I think pretty much all body parts are the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also,

There seems to be two wires hidden in the trunk, running along the sides.
Any purpose, because they were already cut.

The last owner did a real shoddy job with the electrics.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts