VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I usually come here to look at other threads when I'm having issues but I'd like to ask for advice on this one.

The last couple of weeks, my beetle has been acting weird as far as starting. Most of the time, It would not start on the 1st try but would always start on the 2nd try. Now, it will not start at all. When I put my key in the ignition, all of the indicators come on but when I turn, nothing happens and all the indicators click. In the last few weeks, it would try to start on the first try but it would not go on. Does anyone have any suggestions before I get it towed to firestone?

Just a heads up: I had the starter changed about a year ago after I had a similar issues. Once it was changed, I had no issues but the last time, it gave no warnings and one day, it just stopped starting. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
My first thought; would be the ignition switch or barrel has failed; remove the switch and see if it starts without a key (put a screwdriver in the switch). If that works; then the barrel or tumbler is bad; otherwise, replace the switch and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, you might pull the starter and have it tested; to confirm it is ok, new parts can fail just like old ones. What brand starter did you buy? I always buy oem Bosch starters for the best quality; test/check your switch and we will go from there.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
the very first thing you should do is check for ECU codes with a scan tool and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts