NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Luna
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a while. How goes it?

Anyways, I have a bit of a problem. The day before Hurricane / TS Irene, my Bug sounded fine. Now the day after, the car sounds like a motorcycle, or more specifically, like some bad Wal-Mart aftermarket exhaust system.

I've identified that the sound is coming from the center of the undercarriage. The part itself seems to be covered by a plate of metal with an offset hole pattern. Pardon the layman talk. I'm not sure exactly what this part is, but from looking around online, is this the Catalytic Converter?

Am I looking at a complete replacement of the part, or is it possible to repair it? Any estimates on what it can cost? Also, is there any danger to the vehicle or myself for operating with the damaged part?

·
Registered
512 Posts
It is the catalyst converter. It's not possible to repair a catalyst converter and illegal for anyone to sell a used one. If the cat is bad then you have to get a new one. Don't get it from any sources other than dealer since they last much shorter(If you want to keep this car for a long time).

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Aftermarket is fine. I had mine replaced over a year and a half ago with an aftermarket unit and it gave me no trouble. OEM is wayyyy expensive. I got the aftermarket one put on for less than $200 (part and labor).

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have an aftermarket cat as well with no issues, it could also be the coupling that connects the cat to the resonator pipe under the car i had one rot away and it sounded like a two cycle motorcycle i swapped out and its quite again see link below hope this helps out if it is Volkswagen Audi Exhaust Clamp - Bosal 265-119 | FCPEuro.com it took me about 15-20 minutes to do

1 - 4 of 4 Posts