NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my 2000 vw bug early this morning but now the engine wont start. The dash lights are all on as well and they won't go off even once i take the key out. My dad thinks it has to with the battery being lose or a fuse. Im thinking it has to do with the ignition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How old is your battery? Are your terminals corroded? Make sure the terminals aren't loose. I've had an airbag light come on because of that. Bad batteries can do a lot of weird things. I would have the battery tested to see if it is bad or needs a charge. Take a voltmeter and make sure it is 12-12.5volts turned off. Once you get the car running get your alternator checked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How old is your battery? Are your terminals corroded? Make sure the terminals aren't loose. I've had an airbag light come on because of that. Bad batteries can do a lot of weird things. I would have the battery tested to see if it is bad or needs a charge. Take a voltmeter and make sure it is 12-12.5volts turned off. Once you get the car running get your alternator checked.
I had the battery checked. It was at 8o% so we had it charged and i tightened the terminals. The issue wasnt resolved. My dash is still on even though its switched off and the key is showing up unauthorized. My key works for all of the car locks but none of my buttons are working. I changed the batteries in the remote, and the buttons still wont work. It was working just fine before this issue started.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought for sme reason you were talking about the warning lights but it's just lit up like when your headlights are on right? Does the car crank but not start or just nothing at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought for sme reason you were talking about the warning lights but it's just lit up like when your headlights are on right? Does the car crank but not start or just nothing at all?
No, all the dash instrument lights are on like when you first turn your car on. And the car doesnt crank. Nothing happens but that might because its not recognizing my key. I havent looked at the fuses, ill have to check those.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When you turn the key does the starter make a click noise? If so you can tap it with a hammer and if it starts up you have a bad starter.

Here is fuse box diagrams

·
Registered
703 Posts
That diagram is a beautiful thing the best and most complete I’ve seen.

[/URL]
If the battery is fully charged 12.4-12.7 volts then you should be ok. Your 80% comment is confusing, 80% of 12.7 would be about 12.55 volts, 80% of 12.0 volts is around 9 volts. Anything below 12.2 is for all intents a dead battery. So 12.0 volts is a dead battery. What exactly does your battery read with the car just sitting in the driveway not running without the key in the ignition?

Calling a car battery a 12 volt is a bit misleading, a freshly charged or new car battery should read 12.7 volts. An battery a couple of years old is likely to read 12.4-12.5 and a battery that is on the tired side will read 12.2-12.3. Once a battery falls to 12.2 or below the first time we get a cold snap in the fall your car either won’t start or will barely start.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The symptoms you describe can be the starter. There is a small round cylinder mounted on top of the starter body, called a solenoid. There is a short thick braided copper wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter body.

Over time and especially up north here in the salt belt that wire degrades until it doesn’t conduct electricity. When that happens your dash board will light up normally but there is no noise at all from the starter. A new starter will solve that problem however you just don’t want to throw parts at it hoping to fix your car. You need to examine it closely.

It’s discouraging to buy a new starter or battery to fix a starting problem and it doesn’t help. Finally it ends up being a loose wire that you could have tightened for free with five minutes of searching instead of spending $300 on a starter or battery you really didn’t need.

Check all the fuses as pugbug suggested and check the starter..closely, and of course the battery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
With no cranking check these fuses. Fuse #11 5amp inside the car, above the battery fuse #5 150amp, battery compartment fuse #4 110amp, then there are relays in the circuit as well. They are the Park/neutral postion relay and theft warning system starter lock relay. You might want to make sure the car is fully in park or neutral. If not could be starter. If you try what I said you will find out. If you have manual I will edit picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take a look at your drive belt. Make sure it is not broken. It is on the left side of engine. Mine just broke and had the same symptoms. We had to replace the belt and the pully.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it turn out the problem is with the ignition. The piece the ignition switch connections to on the ignition is broke. Does anyone if this is a separate section from the ignition or do i have to replace the whole ignition?

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
That piece is called the barrel; the steering wheel lock, is integrated into that assembly. You can replace the barrel by itself. You can get this from your local VW dealers parts dept.; you might check the ignition/key lock/tumbler as well, they get worn out, start sticking. They can order you a whole new assembly or each part individually and using your vin # the keys will match. The barrel is held on by some antitheft security bolt; which will require a punch, to get them to turn (I then used pliers to twist them out). You might just replace them with normal bolts with a typical head (hex, torx, etc); so, it will be easier next time (that is what i did).

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Here is another video; showing a Mark IV Golf, which is similar to the new beetle, he slices the security bolts and uses a flat screwdriver for removal of the barrel assembly:

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Looks like you are already torn down but this is a good time, to check for any burnt, melted wires/plugs to the ignition switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts