Check for spark at spark plug wire good
Compression test all (4) 160-170 psi
Ob2 reader scan EVAP leak detection pump insufficient vacuum code P1476
This would not create a no start
Any ideas

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Have you scanned for trouble codes with a vw specific scan tool like vcds by ross tech; is the immobilizer light, kicking on (you might try a hard rest of the ecu; to clear immo issues)? What is the history of the car; has any issues come up ir changes/repairs, been made to the car? When was the last time it was running? Give us some background history of the car and any trouble code you may be getting; we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not scanned it with a vw scan tool nor do I have access to one. I rented a basic scan tool from autozone. I’ve already attempted to hard reset the ecu by unplugging the battery for 1 hour and also by putting the key to the on position for 10+ minutes with no success. I’ve never had an issue with the alarm system as the door locks and unlock both work on my key fob. The car ran perfectly fine last Wednesday. I parked it overnight and it got really cold and went the next day to start it and no start. All these parts are new in the last year, plugs and wires, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor and starter. I have had a cel for a cylinder 1 misfire for the last year but it’s very intermittent and not often that the car studders or has loss of power. I’m just a bit lost because I have proper spark, fuel pressure, and compression. I know it could be timing or my injectors are dirty but otherwise I’m not sure why I’m getting a no start. The battery is pushing 13+V.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What exactly does the battery read with a multimeter just sitting in your driveway not running?

When was the last time you checked/changed the air filter?

·
Registered
752 Posts
An engine needs the following to run:
1. Air
2. Fuel
3. Spark
4. Timing

Air is usually not a problem unless some prankster stuffed a potato, or similar, in the exhaust pipe.

Lack of fuel could be caused by an empty gas tank, frozen water in a fuel line, broken fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, and etc. If it's getting fuel but won't start, I'd think you'd smell gas fumes coming out the tailpipe when you're trying to crank it.

Lack of spark (to all cylinders) could be caused by a bad ignition coil. I'm not sure what else would cause no spark on this engine (bad camshaft sensor?). I've got a cheap automotive test light that will flash when it's grounded via its alligator clip and the end of the test probe is placed on top of an ignition wire when cranking the engine.

Timing being completely failed would be broken or slipped timing belt (possibly broken timing belt tensioner). But I'd think that would cause horrible sounds when cranking, like from pistons hitting valves. Still, at a minimum, you could pull the timing belt cover to inspect the belt and make sure it's tight.

I'm not sure what the immobilizer on this car cuts (spark or fuel).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I parked it overnight and it got really cold and went the next day to start it and no start.
Daughter's bug was hard to start once it got cold here and I dug around some members had success with replacing coolant temp sensor, others with crank sensor, and others say cracked coil with moisture inside. You need to own at least a cheap scan tool. I got a Bosch one for $29 shipped. No VAG but it actually did throw the crank code that fixed ours... I learned immensely from using it too.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Scan tool should let you read the coolant temperature. If the car's engine is "cold", and the car is outside, it ought to read somewhere around the outside temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts