VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my sixth or seventh watercooled build. First Beetle, and first anything post-mk3. Sort of fell in my lap. A series of unfortunate events left me with a rusted 04.5 gli and a need to sell most of it off to balance the budget.

Fortunately, I like chassis stuff and the gli has it in spades! I’ve never built a mk4 and wanted to do something different so I drove out to Baltimore yesterday and picked up a 2001 Beetle 1.8t 5spd manual. This will receive most if not all of the goodies from the gli: brakes, wheels, 02M swap, possibly even the interior.

The Jetta has a nice set of PS9 coilovers on it that I could swap, but I think I may go in a different direction - literally. We may be lifting this thing and throwing a set of 28.5” tires on the gli wheels. We’ll see.

Definitely needs paint. I’ve selected matte desert khaki.

Stay tuned.

28.5” tires on 18” wheels? What say you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a breakdown of the 02M on 28.5” tires vs either the tdi or 1.8t 02J on stock (25”) tires. The 1.8t 02M lines up nicely with the stock ratios from the 02J, essentially mirroring that trans with an additional cruising gear that keeps you from turning over 3000 rpm at 70.

A: 02M (1.8t), 28.5” tires
B: 02J (tdi), 25” tires
C: 02J (1.8t), 25” tires

MPH @ 2500 RPM

A1-16...............B1-16.1..........C1-14.2
A2-25.75..........B2-25.7..........C2-24
A3-36.6............B3-40.............C3-36
A4-46.3...................................C4-45.5
A5-57.5............B4-56.............C5-56.6
A6-70.4............B5-72

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahahahahahaha! Got her emissions inspected yesterday. That gives me two years to experiment before I have an excuse to try the 3.6 FSI swap on. (note: I do not advocate removing emissions equipment from vehicles driven on the road. This thing will get a 400 cpi cat and retain the majority of its emissions gear, but projects set lights. It's comforting to know I won't get hung up if I have to drive with a soft code set for some time while I sort it out.)

I laughed hysterically because on the way home, I really got into it for the first time and it misfired, cut boost, and set the traction control light! At least it did it after I got it inspected! So much winning with these cars lately. SMH. Time to go through some more misfire diag. Pulled pretty good to about 4k then fell on its face. Got home and the throttle inlet hose had popped off! The beetle would barely idle when I picked it up. Checked a few things, but it was acting like the IAC/ISV was bad... except this doesn't have one. Swapped the TB off the gli and when I did, I must have neglected to tighten the inlet hose enough. Soooo, yeah. Popped that on, tightened it up and beat the pants off it for a few miles. Ran great! Sending the ecu out to get tuned next week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exhaust/turbo-ectomy in progress. Got a k04 from a tt225 for her. Should be enough power to keep me content for a while. Went with an inexpensive eBay 2.5” turbo-back exhaust for a mk4 golf. The tip terminates just before the bumper, pointing straight at it. Just needs a 3” turndown and it’s good to go... but I hate turn downs. This exhaust will probably be loud and turndowns magnify that by bouncing sound off the ground and back into the cabin. We’ll see.

pile o’ exhaust
2E30CF63-015D-4C06-94C3-903A17198D42.jpeg

Out with the old...
80AB36F4-766B-4A66-B49C-9BD841DDDB29.jpeg

Downpipe v stock

Muffler firing straight into the bumper for now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Swapping the Bilstein PS9 coilovers from the GLi today. Control arms come in tomorrow for the beetle so I’ll finish up then. I had planned to run the 18” RC336s from the GLi but I put them on the scale and they’re a solid 10 pounds heavier! Each! No thanks. Beetle wheels are staying on the beetle. GLi brakes just clear. Gunna be a sleeper in those shoes! LOL

Perhaps too little clearance for wheels weights! Less than 1/4”!

EDIT: Rear suspension is in!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust tip came in to make the golf/Gti exhaust play nice. Fits great! Looks great! Might rivet some flashing to the under/inside of the bumper to act as a heat shield just the same. If it’s not crazy loud, the sleeper status continues! Cant tell there’s an exhaust on it otherwise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front suspension is in. Had to do the job twice, essentially, because I swapped everything from the beetle onto the Jetta these coilovers came off of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stereo gear is trickling in. Well, it’s mostly here!

Android tablet (wifi hotspot to my phone) > Dayton DSP-408 > Alpine PDR-75V amplifier > Two Dayton RS100-4 wide-band drivers in pods (250+ Hz @ 100 watts/channel) | Four Tang Band 5.25” neodymium subwoofers sealed in the dash (40-250Hz @ 125 watts/channel, two subs per channel) | Pyle 15” subwoofer infinite baffle in the spare tire well (0~60Hz @ 400+ watts).

Should be awesome. Test fitting now. The tablet required some adjustment to fit but now no longer blocks the climate controls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found some subwoofers that I’ve ignored for many projects now because they seemed like overkill. Well, this project is about going wild, so let’s kill some overs! Big, ugly bastards. Like, someone with a No Fear tattoo was in charge of the design phase. The plan is to hide the baskets, and even refinish the cones, running a pair of them Infinite Baffle in the spare tire well. Two 15s IB in a beetle... this should be something else.

So ugly:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GLI brake swap is coming along nicely. After what feels like forever, I finally got the calipers prepped “good enough”. Many imperfections showing through but they’ll be tucked so tight in those beetle wheels, they probably won’t show. Again, I wish I had better before pictures. They turned out pretty damn good (no, forgive me, I didn’t tape off the dust boot or piston)

Tires came in for the beetle wheels. Nice ones too All season tires because I’ll actually drive the beetle places, but about as nice as you can find in a 16. Also, my neighbors probably hate me.

And lastly, playing with the intake from the Jetta. I don’t think it’s worth doing. Won really add any power, just lots of noise so I’m probably just plumbing a cold air duct to the factory air box with a K&N. Looks pretty though.

K04 turbo install this weekend, if all goes to plan. Picking up some free mk4 Gti seats to play with possibly reusing the bases to allow the GLI seats to fold.

Still waiting to hear back from a tuner about my ecu. APR won’t remove the immobilizer anymore so I went elsewhere. I’d like to have this drivetrain swap-ready if I pull it for the 3.6 in the future.

Get her running and driving, move onto the stereo, then swapping in the 02M from the GLI. All the things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just test fitting today. Finish hasn’t cured enough for me to feel comfortable getting brake fluid on the calipers yet. Fit like they were made for the Beetle 16s.

·
Premium Member
2000 VW New Beetle 1.8T
41 Posts
Heck of a build so far. As a 2000 1.8T owner for 20 years now, with lots of the upgrades you are doing, I can’t tell you how much difference a Peloquin will make, night and day. Also, you need to brace the strut up top, and may want front and back sway bars. The Beetle can be a crazy sleeper, especially when tightened up well.

Keep posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heck of a build so far. As a 2000 1.8T owner for 20 years now, with lots of the upgrades you are doing, I can’t tell you how much difference a Peloquin will make, night and day. Also, you need to brace the strut up top, and may want front and back sway bars. The Beetle can be a crazy sleeper, especially when tightened up well.

Keep posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Peloquin will go in the 02M for the VR6 build but I’m not putting much more money in the 1.8t. Already invested much more than I planned in it. The idea was a 3.6 FSI VR6 before I even acquired the beetle. I have an 02M to go beside the 1.8t this spring/summer but I’m not splitting the case on this one.

Definitely will consider sway bars once I get the coilovers dialed in and a feel for what it might need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check the rears, yo! I mean, the fronts are a dramatic change but the rears make the factory rotors look almost dangerously inadequate by comparison.
Rears:

Fronts:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final test fit of the subwoofers, amplifier and DSP. Picking up some more mdf, cutting the baffles and the spare tire well (!) this weekend. Start wiring things up when the car is driving again - sent the ecu out for programming this week.

Ever seen two 15” subwoofers in a beetle?

PS. That amp is not terribly small, it just looks it next to the subs!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Operation “GLI seats in a beetle” got some reinforcements yesterday. Picked up a free pair of nasty mk4 Gti seats. The idea is to transfer the GLi foams to the Gti bases so I can fold the seats forward for passengers (kids). The beetle seats would be cool as hell to use for this purpose but the bases appear narrower, and they’re in really nice condition - like, it would truly be a shame to cannibalize them when someone out there would love them.

even though I just plan on using the bases, the Gti foams will probably find their way onto the Jetta frames and back into the Jetta. Besides, I couldn’t let these dope covers go out all nasty like this. They cleaned up well.

Before:

Before/afters:

Started tackling the turbo install the next day and hit a snag. Need to replace the oil feed line which I should’ve ordered in the first place. Order placed. Will tackle the turbo next weekend and play with my subwoofers and the vacuum deletes this week

Picture doesn’t quite do justice to how much larger this turbo is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Built, reinforced and sealed the woofer baffles. They fit great. I took a deep breath and cut out a section of the spare tire floor to accommodate the pair of fifteens. Built the baffles for the dash as well. I’m sealing the rain tray, eliminating the cabin filter and hardware - and ultimately my ability to use the fresh air function of my AC. Oh well. I’m pursuing a dream here. Cant be trusted not to get a little crazy in the process.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Lots of heavy life stuff coming at me recently and no real time to invest in the project. Finished the subwoofer assembly though! Waiting on a few pieces for the dash. Finally having tires installed this week. Probably still a few weeks before the brakes and turbo/injectors/vacuum deletes are finished and I can drive it :-/

As soon as I get a minute to breathe there will be lots of movement on the project. Stay tuned!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts