VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad called yesterday that he bought a 2001 1.8T with automatic and it won't move. I know about the 2003 up tranny issues. He says when put into gear (any), it seems to want to engage but then doesn't go anywhere. I'm going over to take a look Saturday, but I was hoping for any hints, things to look for from anyone with experience. He thought because I had an '05, I'd know what to look at. But the '05 was a manual.
First, of course, is fluid level. I understand it isn't checked in a conventional way.
Second is all the linkages, cables that control shifting.
Third, he didn't mention park not working, but I'll check the axles just in case it isn't the tranny.
What else has anyone got? Looks to be a fun day in the cold.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,867 Posts
Cup, my 2000 1.8t Beetle's transmission died last year...right about this time,come to think. She locked up while I was driving; came to a dead stop at about 30 mph- smoking, screeching tires and everything. Thank God I wasn't rear-ended.

Maybe?, a valve body rebuild might do the job- I know some have gone this route. Even with the rebuild, some still have herky-jerky shift still. For me, If I were gonna stay with an auto transmission, I'd go with a rebuilt transmission (with warranty) or a new one altogether.

I did find a reman jobber on eBay CLICK HERE

BTW, I'm doing a 5-speed swap on mine. That's my best recommendation. It would be worth learning to drive one, just to save yourself on the aggravation.

Now keep in mind, I'm posting from a somewhat jaded view, They'll be other sides of the coin opinions/experiences posted to give you a more balanced view to come to a better conclusion.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If the car worked one day, then quit moving the next day without any real warning, I would say likely an axle has popped out.

Some of the automatics have axles that snap into the transaxle. If the car has had axle repair work recently, it might be simple case of an axle just popping out?

Also if the car has had a el cheapo replacement axle, some of these are problematic. I would guess the problem is with the passenger side axle as well.

Simple test, start engine, let the it idle down, put the trans in gear, give it a small bit of throttle, see if the speedo works. If the speedo works (I think??), this is a clear indicator that an axle has popped out. Also the car will move when in park.

BE VERY CAREFUL, DO NOT PUT THE TRANS BACK IN PARK OR REVERSE!!!!!

Turn the engine off with the trans in what ever gear you are in, allow everything to quite turning, then put the trans in park.

Also NOTE that the putting the car in park will not hold the car stationary, it WILL roll if an axle has popped out. Make sure to use the parking brake!!!

Hope it is something simple.

As for the cheap replacement axles, DO NOT DO IT!!! If the car has had a cheap replacement axle, suggest replacing with VW Reman units or replacements from www.raxles.com

See this thread and the thin shaft cheap axle in the picture - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...e/67585-what-symptoms-driving-wrong-axel.html

These $100 or less axles cause hundreds or even thousands in headaches and problems!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Dad had it towed to a shop Friday to get an idea from them, and it was closed on Saturday so I couldn't go look at it myself. The shop said the trans was locked up and it wouldn't move when they put it in neutral to push it in. I wonder if it was just in Park and the linkage is disconnected. I'll update when I can find out more.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,299 Posts
We picked up my husband's TDI Jetta with a similar problem. You could move the shifter to Drive, etc. but the car wouldn't move. You could roll it forward but not reverse. Threw several codes. We think something grenaded in the transmission. Didn't try to fix it...already had a 5-speed swap lined up for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately my Dad's wife refuses to learn how to drive stick. Probably a good idea to with her accident record. So automatic it will have to stay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Dad called yesterday that he bought a 2001 1.8T with automatic and it won't move. I know about the 2003 up tranny issues. He says when put into gear (any), it seems to want to engage but then doesn't go anywhere. I'm going over to take a look Saturday, but I was hoping for any hints, things to look for from anyone with experience. He thought because I had an '05, I'd know what to look at. But the '05 was a manual.
First, of course, is fluid level. I understand it isn't checked in a conventional way.
Second is all the linkages, cables that control shifting.
Third, he didn't mention park not working, but I'll check the axles just in case it isn't the tranny.
What else has anyone got? Looks to be a fun day in the cold.
I would start with three very easy checks ... One: Disconnect the battery terminals both, wait one hour connect Red than Black and then wait ten minutes to see if the transmission and computer sync. Second: check the trans cable and pieces connected to the shifter - - are they in working order. Third: Yes, transmission fluid is very important, I have worked for two major OEM's (neither were VW) and transmission fluid has two key components #1 - In this transmission it has to have the Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV. I can't emphasize enough the effect this has ....

#2 - your correct, you really can't measure the correct amount of fluid. If you are unsure what the actual fluid level is, drain the fluid and drop the pan (clean the pan and magnets) and measure how much fluid come out .... if it is 3 quarts and the fluid is clean put in 3 quarts and add a pint. When fluid is low in a transmission, their isn't enough fluid pressure and you will have the car going nowhere.

If none of these change anything, again I am always someone is trying to make sure I don't over look the low cost fixes. I would drain the fluid a second time and again make sure its the correct fluid and continue to play with the fluid level ... its tough to get to the correct level because you don't know how much remains in the trans. This particular trans would have a fill plug in the front, I purchase two feet of clear hose from the auto parts store and uses that to fill.

If this doesn't change your condition, and you believe you should replace the transmission, start searching the junk yards, not sure I would replace the transmission with anything other than a OEM.

Good Luck, I hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts