NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I got a NB, it doesn't have AC like no power no air no nothing. The car overheats easily and it recently broke down due to a busted coolant pipe, I replaced that and it still overheats.
These I hopefully assume are related issues due to the dual radiator fan thing not coming on at all, ever. When I was driving the car around a a year ago it would sometimes cut in and out, and would usually blow only hot air. Now it doesn't blow at all.

And before you ask, yes I checked the fuse that melts, yes it was melted (only slightly melted on that third radiator fuse, very minor damage), wiggling it did nothing. And yes I (just today) replaced the fuse block with a new one and started it up and drove it around the lot, the radiator fan still wouldn't come on nor the AC.

Additional things to note about this yellow death trap (may or may not be relevant):
-Engine codes are:
--P1118
--P1198
--P0138
--P0139
Which all seem to do with the downstream O2 sensor which I bought a replacement for but haven't installed yet, and yes the exhaust is nnoticeable gassy.
-Engine will make a strange noise briefly on ignition startup, like a higher pitch VRRUBP! And it does that a good 7/10 startups and only lasts a second but not always, and that's a very recent thing, like as of a month or two and I dont drive this thing Im only repairing it. Perhaps it's a timing belt thing? I got no clue.
-Of course the vaccume lines suck too, there's one spot where they are completely severed. It's the spot on top of the engine where the line comes out from the MAI and splits into a "V" pattern, the section on the right is completely cut apart. I have replacement tubing but haven't fixed that yet nor do I know how lmao.

Not sure if any of that is related. I knew literally nothing about working on cars until about a month ago when I decided to keep this thing and fix it myself and now I know more so let's keep this in layman's terms and if you have a YouTube video I can watch that's a hell of a lot better bc that's how Iv been managing this far.

Now who wants to help me figure out how to get this thing one step closer to street legal inspection status by fixing that overheating engine?

·
Registered
555 Posts
First of all we know nothing about your Beetle. Year? How many miles. Gas or diesel? 1.8-1.9-2.0 or 2.5 all that info makes a difference. It’s a really good idea to fill that info when you are registering. That way we know by looking at your avatar what kind of vehicle you’re asking about.

Here is the ross-Tech wiki page for codes there are several pages click through till you find your engine code, click on the code and it will take you to that page and offer suggestions.

What color is the coolant in the coolant bottle or do you just have water? VW coolant is pink, never mix vw pink fluid with green or blue or even the “good for all brands” kind. When you mix vw with any other color it form a kind of jello that plugs your radiator and small coolant passages in the engine.

When you turn the ac on the fans should automatically come on, does that happen?

When was the thermostat changed last?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[Edit] I am not sure when the thermostat was or if it has been replaced, do you mean the coolant temperature sensor?

I thought I put it in the title, but it's a
2001 1.8T Gas Beetle

I may have perhaps mixed the coolant with a mountain dew colored one, and it now looks like a unrecognizable orange brown color.

Absolutely nothing happens when I turn the AC on, it's just like turning all the knobs when the car is off, it just sounds like plastic moving notches that's it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry missed that. Pull fuse number 16 and see if the fans come on if they do at least they still work. Leave the car off. (Not running)

You’ll need to flush out that coolant system including the heater core and get all that brown sludge out of there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to flush out coolant at home?

And got it, do you mean replace fuse 16 or just remove it, what amperage do the internal fuses use?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses at the radiator, get a garden hose and flush the radiator til the water comes out clear.

Take the thermostat off and put the garden nose in the end of the upper radiator hose, flush till clear.

·
Registered
555 Posts
These fans are know to die, I have one dead on my diesel right now. I’m not to worried about it at this point since it’s winter, and diesels don’t make waste heat like a gas engine does but I do need to fix it before spring.

If the fans come on they are still good and it’s a control problem. If they don’t come on jump them directly from the battery, if they still won’t work.

Ecstuning should also have a replacement.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Disconnect the fans at the connections down on the drivers side of the radiator. You can reach those connections better from below. Then just run a small wire from a 12v source, the battery or something else and see if you can make the fans turn. As I said dead fans are a common occurrence.

Did the fans come on when you pulled the fuse?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the 16 fuse when it was idling and got nothing, I'll double check later and do some of those suggestions

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
When you pull the thermostat; this will expose the water pump impeller. The original ones were made of a plastic composite and were prone to cracking and spinning on the shaft, cause over heating and no coolant flow. Confirm that for sure:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Smileybug has liked to the premiere ac trouble shooting guide for VW’s on the web, and Billymade pointed out something that I had forgotten about. Those plastic impellers don’t really hold up that well, when you pull the thermostat you can reach your finger into the hole and feel the water pump impeller, if you can turn it with you finger the water pump needs replacing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wonderful more stuff to check out and learn, you all have been a huge help, I'll do some research into this stuff and keep you all updated but it may be a bit until I can get around to it all. If anyone else has suggestions feel free to keep it going, I will check in with my progress soon enough.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
If you end up needing a new waterpump; you will need a whole water pump/timing belt kit, check out www.blauparts.com, they have excellent kits with everything you need to do the job right (all new belts, waterpump, tensioner, rollers, motor mount stretch bolts, vw spec coolant, etc.).

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
There might not be nothing wrong with the A/C system. The A/C compressor turns off when there is no air flow through the condenser because of the fans or if the radiator is getting too hot. So I would leave the A/C system problem till last if I were you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OKAY SO I finally got that radiator fan off and brought it over to autozone to test it, bc I'm the dumb ash that took it out to test it instead of learning how to test it from inside the car. Anyways the fans are fully functional and work just fine.

So what's the problem? What do I do next.
Current goal is to get these fans to spin inside of my car. The fuses are fine and replaced as well as the fuse box, the fans have no electric or mechanical problem, what's the next thing for me to test?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts