VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2 litre
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 2 litre that I dug out of a hoarders yard and have slowly been repairing. I had removed the seats and part of the dash cleaning the interior and upon replacing the airbag light stays on. I wonder if anyone has come across this problem and any suggestions on how to rectify?
thanks Stephen

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
If you remove the seats; this can kick on the airbag light ( the seat belt; plugs under the seat; are part of the srs system).

You will need a vw specific scan tool; to read related trouble codes and attempt to clear the airbag light.

The ross tech vcds, OBDEleven and the many Chinese knockoff “vag” scanners, are the typical popular vw diagnostic tool options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Removing the seats to clean is a great idea however you should never turn the vehicle switch to the on position, or start the vehicle with any abs part not plugged back in. I suspect this is what happened, either you turned the ignition on to listen to the radio or started the car to move it or forgot to reconnect something when you were done.

Unfortunately once an airbag light is triggered on a vw just reconnecting the forgotten part does not shut the light off. You will need a vcds or similar for that.

I’m a big proponent of not rewarding the chinese for ripping off American intellectual property which is where all the cheap knockoff cables come from. In addition there is no support for any problems you may have with their cheap junk. Ross-Tech is in Pennsylvania which is my home state and I know it’s hard to believe but everyone working there speaks English. I even got the owner himself on the phone when I called one time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the big reader from harbor freight (Zurich ZR15) and it actually has ABS, SRS and advanced/extended menus for VW and Audi models. It allows you to clear the SRS light, as long as the problem is fixed... But you definitely need one with SRS capability.

·
Registered
2001 2 litre
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help guys. One of the problems I have is that here in Western Australia things are expensive and shipping things take forever. No harbour freight no Costco not much at all. I bought a pair of second hand taillights for my car which cost $330. Second hand parts are expensive and hard to find. Atm I’m looking for a headlight lens to no avail which means I may need to buy a SH head light. I’m dreading how much that will cost.
I think I will try a mobile mechanic to clear the air bag light so I can at least move forward toward getting it over the pits and licensed. Wish me luck

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
You might want to buy; even the most basic vw vag code reader or OBDEleven, a used genuine ross tech vcds cable could be a more affordable option, then a new one. You will typically save money in the long run, by investing in a vw scan tool; ongoing repairs and needing to read trouble codes is common on older VW’s of this era and just one visit to a repair shop or mobile mechanic, can be more then the purchase price of a affordable vw scan tool. Finally, having control of your diagnostic and repair process; not being dependent on a vw repair shop, dealer or mobile mechanic, will save you thousands in repair cots and by posting trouble codes, can help us, help you diagnose problems, finish needed repairs. The better quality scan tools, like the Ross Tech VCDS, is an investment but the resale value can be very high and sometimes even more than your original purchase price, if you end up selling your Volkswagen or no longer need the tool.

Australia based scan tool reseller; VW scanners. Autel, OBDEleven, etc.

Ross Tech VCDS resellers in Australia:

Australia

Harding Performance
1 / 56 CAMBRIDGE ST
COORPAROO, QLD 4151
Australia
Int'l: +61 7 3394 1200
Local: 1300 730 949
Fax: +61 7 3847 4394

Mount AutoEquip Pty Ltd
U13, 122-126 Old Pittwater Road
Brookvale NSW 2100
Australia
Tel +61 2 9905 8055
Fax +61 2 9905 8022

Cheaper options; might be on alixpress, etc:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk kit

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
When, it comes to parts and a vw scan tool; you might post a “wanted” post in the classifieds area on this site and even with shipping to Australia, might save you some money.

I believe many usa and uk, international, based auto parts resellers; will ship to Australia, again, researching things and looking at parts resellers in Asia, eBay, etc, Amazon could be another option.

On the low end of vw code readers; here is a common example:

Xtool U281 CAN BUS OBD2 Car Trouble Code Reader Auto Scanner Memo Diagnostic Tool Scanner for VW AUDI SEAT SKODA AirBag ABS Reset TooL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FZMSYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N2V4YBCHB859H3XFSM7F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 2 litre
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took your advice and did some further research and low and behold I have ordered a scan tool from OBD2 Australia. Reviews were all positive and the clincher was that they are right here in the west. I hopefully will get it by Wednesday. I’m excited and it will also work for my 2013 Golf tdi for resetting service light hopefully. I’ll keep you posted 🥳

·
Registered
2001 2 litre
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

1 - 13 of 13 Posts