VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello newbeetle.org

Ok so I have replaced the air filter and the maf sensor but the engine is still cutting out. The more you push the gas the more it seems to cut out.
The code pulled originally was the maf sensor.
There are no codes now.
When I disconnect the maf sensor it runs with a loss of hp but does not cut out.
Any help would be great.
thxs
Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What were the original trouble codes and what brand, model number, is the scanner you are using? What brand and part number, is the replacement maf (new, rebuilt, etc)? If you have live data; it would be nice to see if the maf readings are correct. Here are some pages about troubleshooting mafs:

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/vw/1.8L/maf-sensor-tests-1

A common problem with the 2.0l; is when the throttle body gets dirty, the engine can idle rough, hesitate and die. This can be resolved by cleaning the throttle body and realigning it. It is worth a shot; it has worked for many people.

Another area I would look into; is the fuel pressure. I would get a fuel pressure tester and make sure, it is spec. Here is the fuel pressure testing procedures:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...essure_vacuum_and_temperature_specifications/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What were the original trouble codes and what brand, model number, is the scanner you are using? What brand and part number, is the replacement maf (new, rebuilt, etc)? If you have live data; it would be nice to see if the maf readings are correct. Here are some pages about troubleshooting mafs:

Part 1 -VW Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Test (5 Wire Type)

A common problem with the 2.0l; is when the throttle body gets dirty, the engine can idle rough, hesitate and die. This can be resolved by cleaning the throttle body and realigning it. It is worth a shot; it has worked for many people.

Another area I would look into; is the fuel pressure. I would get a fuel pressure tester and make sure, it is spec. Here is the fuel pressure testing procedures:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AVH) (2001) > Powertrain Management > Tune-up and Engine Performance Checks > Fuel Pressure > System Information > Specifications > Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature Specifications

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I will get the info, test and clean tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your help.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The original code was p102 and only code.

innova 3130e (not 100% compatible with vw)

Brand New Mass Air Flow Sensor Meter MAF AFM 2.0L 4cyl 1.8L Oem Fit MF8002
by AIP Electronics
Manufacturer: AIP Electronics
100% New Construction
High Quality OEM Replacement Part
Brand AIP Electronics
Item Weight 1 pounds
Product Dimensions 8 x 8 x 8 inches
Manufacturer Part Number MF8002
OEM Part Number 0 280 218 002 280218002 06A 906 461A

The live data is reading
idle 1-.7 lb/min
3000rpm 6.0-8.0

It seems to only be cutting out right about 3000rpm in each gear.
If driven under 3000rpm it goes through the gears clean.
The water pump went out 6mn ago and sat until now. The over heat blew the radiator.
I have replaced maf, water pump, radiator.
Before the over heat there was no issue except p102 code, but it ran smooth.
Ran it again hard like to blow it out and it cut out bad and through p301. which to me seems like it should if it is cutting out.
Reset code drove it under 3000rpm and if was fine.
Fuel pressure test to follow.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 2l...just cutting out in the drive or when standing still

Hi...I am new to this forum but been reading in search of answers. Don't have her for long but been met with numerous issues, smoking when starting(still there)...engine light with bank 1 sensor(o2)(replaced), and of recent just cutting out mid drive or when at a stop intermittently...took the advice of cleaning throttle body and having fuel pressure test and after much the trouble code showed that the ignition coil is miss firering...going to have it replaced tomorrow and will let you know...hope this might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts