NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kat's Mom
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have gotten so much good info from y'all, but I can't seem to find this:

The driver side door has all functionality (electrical, fob, alarm, manual open and lock from inside OR outside)

EXCEPT...

Once the door is opened, the latch defaults to WIDE-OPEN (not stuck in the locked position, like the other posts I found). So, it can't engage with the strike plate. Just bounces off.

To close it, you have to slam your buns into it, hold it steady and hit the key fob! A solution, but not a pretty one. :rolleyes:

It's not a WD-40 fix (I tried!). My gut says it's a busted spring of some sort and will have to be replaced, but I'd love a DIY solution if there's one out there. Thx!

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
The problem i have run across; is it being in the locked position and not being able to close the door. Yours sounds like a internal muchanical issue; it maybe possible to disassemble the lock module and investigate the problem but replacement, maybe the better long term solution. The primary problem is usually the sensors inside the lock module; whether this is related, to your issue, is questionable.
After 16 years of opening and closing cycles; it is not surprising it will eventually wear out or break. Genuine VW replacement parts would be recommended; new or used, depending, on how much money you are willing to spend.

Maybe others can chime in with their experiences but this is the first time, i have heard of this particular problem and symptoms.

Here is a excellent diy; if you decide to replace the lock module:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/109049-window-regualtro-door-lock-diy.html#/topics/109049

1 - 3 of 3 Posts