NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2001 beetle yesterday.:) however i discovered that the driverside window wont roll down none of the switches other than the fuel door switch were working on the drivers door. the passenger window was working then it just stopped working. the hatch switch actually started kind of working ( i have to hit the switch, then go out of the car turn the vw emblem, lift the door till it stops its not open yet, then i have to go back and hit the switch again to get the hatch to open) the biggest issues i am having are the passenger window being stuck down, and i cant lock the drivers door at all key don't lock it pushing the lock doesn't work as the lock wont go down and the button doesn't work, i really like the car any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw the local vw dealership wants me to pay to have them look at it or they want me to buy a door harness for like $250

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry, my car hasn't had these issues yet so I cant help, but have you tried looking on youtube? There are a lot of helpful videos there....

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sounds like you have the door latch problem:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/59654-door-latch-resources.html

All the door controls except the fuel door are handled by a microcontroller that is part of the window motor assembly. It is connected via CAN bus to a central controller in the car. You could have a problem with the wiring or the door controller. If you take the door apart to repair the latch it will give you a chance to inspect the wiring and controller.

You can lock your car if you do it from the passenger door. That door allows you to press the pin and close the door to lock it.

I hope you enjoy your new car. These are complicated little cars with lots to go wrong. It takes a bit of work to keep up with the maintenance but they are nice when they work right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easy window solution

new easy way to get my windows fixed as it turns out with maine being an inspection state it also turns out that the windows not working actually causes the car to fail inspection and under maine auto sales laws the dealership is mandated by law to repair them yay that saves me a lot of money...downside dealership wants the car for a whole day so my teacher has to meet me in the morning and pick me and my welding gear up (which actually fits in the trunk of the little beetle). so heres to strict inspection laws working for the small guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts