VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know this is a common issue but I am hoping for some help.

I recently drove out from NJ to Chicago and then Indiana. On my way from Chicago to Indiana, I pulled over for a rest stop and the car started overheating. I took it to the first shop I came to (big mistake).. After hours of playing around and replacing the brand new coolant sensor I had only had a couple months, they played around with the wiring, and bypassed and rewired the fans directly to the battery so I was able to get to Bloomington.

I got to Bloomington and the mechanic there said it was a severed wire underneath, and a blown fuse. He rewired the fans directly to the box in the dash on the drivers side, and added a toggle switch for me to manually turn the fans on and off. I know this is not the correct fix, but its what it is until I can get her into a VW dealership.

Since then, I have had the switch fixed one other time here in Chicago; it seems to either short out or come disconnected. I realize it is not great for the fans to run continuously, but at the moment I can't do a gazillion dollar dealership fix.

Is there anything anyone can suggest as far as keeping this from shorting out? It seems to work fine for a week or two, but once I get in stop and go traffic, the fans cut out and I am dealing with the same issue once again. And no, not water pump. I had that and timing belt replaced not that long ago. Its definitely a wiring issue with the radiator/fan system.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My guess is that you are using the switches way beyond there current capability and they are failing. The fuse for the fan motors on the "high" setting is 40 amps. If you apply 12 volts to the fans they are on the high speed, so you need a 40 amp switch. That is a pretty hefty switch, like maybe a knife switch. Luckily yours have been failing by opening the circuit instead of starting a fire.

I would look for the highest rated switch and then wire it to one of the fans instead of both, assuming you want to go on without a real fix. Here is the thread that you need:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...3260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
mutlitple issues

looks to me like you could have multiple issues. Your fans are old and are probably dragging and pulling too much current so both need to be replace or repaired. In a car that old you need to replace the FCM fan control module also because all power for the fans to and from go's through it. You might also replace the fuse box on top of the battery or atleast check with a digital ohm meter to see if you have good connection between the fuses. In stop and go traffic the fans switch over to high speed as needed and with a bypass switch I believe you only have one speed, low. I bet your A/C is not working at random hah? good luck man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts