NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2001 Vw beetle GLS 2.0 automatic 60k miles body inside and out is flawless 4 new tires bought in march (I found the receipt in the car) I paid $1000 for it from someone in a different state only info I got from them is they had a transmission put in it and 2 weeks later it wouldn't start with the key but when I jumped across the cylinoid(sp) it turned over but wouldn't crank could this be because of something done wrong when the trans was installed please help I have waited for a long long time to get one like this any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
2 weeks later it wouldn't start with the key but when I jumped across the cylinoid(sp) it turned over but wouldn't crank could this be because of something done wrong when the trans was installed please help I have waited for a long long time to get one like this any info would be appreciated
Lets clarify terms here.

Crank and Start

Crank, engine turns by the starter but then engine is not running.

Start, starter turns engine as normal and the engine starts and runs so you can drive it.

Please clarify if the starter cranks or turns the engine.

Also did you jump to the battery or to the starter?

Try jumping to the battery.

What happens when the ignition switch is turned? Nothing, engine cranks for 1 second and stops?

Try starting the car in neutral, make sure you keep your foot on the brake when you try this.

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hi thanks for your time it is so appreciated the battery that was on it was completely dead when i turned the key nothing happened.after the battery was on the charger for a while I tried to start it the door beeps for just a second or two and the interior lights and dash lights worked for about a second or two as well the moon roof made a noise as if trying to open but did not when i tried straight from the starter it then turned over but still wouldn't start. when i got the car i only got one key it was the key without the remote they said they had just had a transmission put in it and it worked fine for 2 weeks then nothing so they bought their daughter a new car as she had just graduated and was starting college this fall so they didn't try to fix it i have always wanted a VW because i thought they were reliable and would get great gas millage this car looks to have been taking very good care of inside and out hopefully i can fix it and it will last me many years i thank you so very much for all the help you can give me:)

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought a new battery i haven't put it on there yet i just got home with it. the immobilizer that i raed about in the manual that was in the car explains about the chip in the key my other question is if its the problem would it have kept it from cranking when i tried straight from the starter?:)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Are you getting an icon on the dash that looks like a car with a key in it? Thats the immobilizer light. If you arent getting that then I would suspect another problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts