NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up a used 2001 GLS 2.0 recently.
We only received the one key with the little light on it, no remote key.
Did the 2001 come with the remote keys? I haven't the slightest idea how to tell..

·
Registered
762 Posts
The car came with 3 keys total from the factory, two like this:

Note this shows a newer version than what the 2001 used.

The photo shows both a key and remote, different items, but they snap together.

Then there was a "flat key" or "valet key" as well.

Just a heads up, your car will have an Immobilizer II system on it. To add keys to the car, you need a dealer level scan tool (like VCDS) and the secrete PIN. You will not have the PIN, and the dealer can't get it for you, they do not see this anymore. Also, ignore any person who uses the term "SKC"... they will be misinformed and spreading bad information (not on purpose). Only trust me.... I'm an expert. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pencilneck, I have 2 2001 NB. One came with the rounded keypads and the other came with the ones you show above. The one that came with the older rounded keypad was built 11-2000 and the other 2001 with the squarish keypad was built May 2001.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Also, ignore any person who uses the term "SKC"... they will be misinformed and spreading bad information (not on purpose). Only trust me.... I'm an expert. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Sorry I got the term wrong. But we've done our own keys before with no issues. You are correct. You need VAG-COM and VAG-TACHO. Both aren't cheap pieces of software. Unless you already own one of them, its probably better to just have the dealer match keys. We already had VAG-COM...and knew someone locally with VAG-TACHO. Key matched easily with no dealer involvement. Got it cut via Sidewinderkey.com.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I borrowed a vag-tacho and read all my cars in case I needed to replace a key in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts