VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2001 beetle that we bought about a year ago. It sat for a year before that which has caused numerous problems, but about once a month it will fail to start. It turns over but will not catch. Its like its not getting any fuel. We will leave it over night and it starts no problem. A repair shop and dealer both told us there is nothing they can do unless they have the car exactly when it is having the problem. Its either we wait and then tow it there and hope the problem hasn't magically gone away or we spend money while they try to make the problem occur. Does anyone have any ideas? There are no engine codes so we are at a loss - literally if we can't figure this out!!!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Have you tested the fuel pressure; many here are having fuel pumps fail at this point as so many of our cars are getting quite old (my car was getting harder, harder to start; the fuel pressure was good, when running but it was not able to maintain pressure, when the engine was turned off). Is the immobilizer light; flashing, when it won't start? Do you have a VW compatible scan tool/code reader? Get the fuel pressure tested; let us know, if it within spec and we will go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Welcome to the Org. Glad you found us, lots of knowledgeable people here! When you have a moment be sure to fill in your profile info. It will help us help you better! ALso, dont forget to share some pics! We LOVE pics! :)

I had a similar problem when my fuel pump was going out. It would not start, then I let him sit for about a week, and he fired right up. About a month later, he decided he was going to give up. I didnt have any codes - least that were fuel related! After replacing the relay and the engine speed sensor we determined it was the pump!

The pump should prime when you open the drivers door. If you cant hear it hum, lift the back seat and listen while you turn the engine over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts