VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drove my car out of the garage, washed it, drove it back in the garage, waxed it, now it won't start. I get a click only. The motor is not turning. The lights seems to show full strength, so I'm sure that the battery is fine. I even tried to jump it with my other car, it didn't turn, just the same click.

What is it? I hope it is a simple fix. Oh, I used a OBD2 reader and got P0171 (System too lean). The CEL has been on for about 6 months now, same code.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
Have you tested the battery? When mine died, I got clicking, and all of my lights worked, but no start. I'd check it and make sure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What was your other car that you tried to jump it with? You other car's battery may not have been strong enough to start it. Reason I say that is because I had a similar issue where the battery in my 1 car was so far dead that my other car was not strong enough to jump it. I had to hook it up to my 200 amp battery charger/jumper just to get it to turn over.

From what you are saying, it sure sounds like the battery. It takes a lot of battery power to start a car. And the fact that you started the car twice without actually driving it, it probably just killed it enough not to start again.

Is this your stock battery? If so, 9 years is a long time and you can consider yourself lucky that it lasted that long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My other car is the BMW X5 with a big honking battery. I've used it several times and no problem. When I attempted this, the starter didn't do anything. I just heard a faint click...not the same click as the starter attempting to turn the motor over.

I thought it might be the battery, but if it was...my X5 would have done more than the same click. No this is the third battery on this car...about 6 months old.

Also wouldn't the headlights be pretty dim when the battery is so dead? Both headlight and high beams were pretty bright when I checked...that was the first thing I checked...and I did it with the fan on full blast.

I don't know much about using the meter checking which areas. Do you know where I can look this stuff up? Also does anyone know where the solenoid is?

·
:)
837 Posts
My other car is the BMW X5 with a big honking battery. I've used it several times and no problem. When I attempted this, the starter didn't do anything. I just heard a faint click...not the same click as the starter attempting to turn the motor over.

I thought it might be the battery, but if it was...my X5 would have done more than the same click. No this is the third battery on this car...about 6 months old.

Also wouldn't the headlights be pretty dim when the battery is so dead? Both headlight and high beams were pretty bright when I checked...that was the first thing I checked...and I did it with the fan on full blast.

I don't know much about using the meter checking which areas. Do you know where I can look this stuff up? Also does anyone know where the solenoid is?
Battery is special order, usually around $130. It has a special reserve. Regardless, if it was too dead to jump you wouldnt have lights. You can get a meter reader at any auto parts store. You'd really need schematics and a manual. Hopefully you can read schematics too. :) Manual would give you a picture of the solenoid. I'd tell you but I can't remember off the top of my head without looking.

If you want me to scan my haynes manual (I think that's the brand) in, let me know.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
You can get a battery for the NB at any autoparts store. I had a Duralast in there, that lasted at least 5 years. Replaced with another. Runs great. No reason to special order one.

·
837 Posts
You can get a battery for the NB at any autoparts store. I had a Duralast in there, that lasted at least 5 years. Replaced with another. Runs great. No reason to special order one.
Yes, typically they're stock, but it IS a special battery. Most places you have to order them, at least where I am. Obviously if you go in and say 'battery for VW beetle (year)' they're gonna give you the right one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery is special order, usually around $130. It has a special reserve. Regardless, if it was too dead to jump you wouldnt have lights. You can get a meter reader at any auto parts store. You'd really need schematics and a manual. Hopefully you can read schematics too. :) Manual would give you a picture of the solenoid. I'd tell you but I can't remember off the top of my head without looking.

If you want me to scan my haynes manual (I think that's the brand) in, let me know.
You are correct that if the battery is so dead...I wouldn't have anything. That happened a while back...when my wife left the lights on for a couple days...we had to rev the X5 to start the Beetle...so I can get to AutoZone to replace the battery and give them the core at the same time. Oh, I made sure that they had one in stock before I drove there. :)

Yes, I can read schematics...just dunno where to get it. Sure if you don't mind scanning the appropriate pages of your manual.

·
837 Posts
You are correct that if the battery is so dead...I wouldn't have anything. That happened a while back...when my wife left the lights on for a couple days...we had to rev the X5 to start the Beetle...so I can get to AutoZone to replace the battery and give them the core at the same time. Oh, I made sure that they had one in stock before I drove there. :)

Yes, I can read schematics...just dunno where to get it. Sure if you don't mind scanning the appropriate pages of your manual.
Exactly. :) You'd have to search online for the schematics. I'll scan in some pages tomorrow for you.

Are you sure it's something electrical, like no weird fumes or hissing? Just to eliminate any other guesses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly. :) You'd have to search online for the schematics. I'll scan in some pages tomorrow for you.

Are you sure it's something electrical, like no weird fumes or hissing? Just to eliminate any other guesses.

Yeap, nothing unusual, no fumes, hissing nor sparks. The car was running fine for a while. Just washed and waxed it this morning.

·
Canadian New Member
951 Posts

You can find the starter solenoid on the starter..located on the front of the engine towards the drivers side of the car in the transmission bellhousing... You could try the old backyard mechanics trick of tapping the starter while cranking to see if it is the solenoid sticking...??? If it starts while tapping it. The starter should be replaced...

·
837 Posts
Hi,

Were you able to scan the schematics yet?

Thanks! :)
I don't have schematics dear, but I believe I have pictures of the solenoid location and replacement etc. in my manual. I'll scan 'em in now that I'm not posting from my phone...

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Has your car ever just died while cruising? Then after 5 min or so start right back up and run like normal? If so, my gues is crankshaft position sensor. Search for related threads and see if that is what is happening with you. Check voltage on your battery first to rule that out right from the start.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts