VW Beetle Forum banner

2001 beetle with blown AEG wanna swap in a AZG

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  imojsimpsun 
#1 ·
i've been doing a few searches and cannot find the exact answer. i have a 2001 beetle with an AEG engine. the head gasket is blown and was severly over heated. i have access to a AZG engine that has been sitting for a while with only 41k original miles. can this swap be done? i assume i would have to use my intake,throttle body and exhaust components and wiring harness. but will everything else be fine? some one said a crank sensor is diffrent. is this true? what do i need to change over if so?? thanks!

#2 ·
I certain you will also have to change the instrument cluster and possibly the ECM and OBDII components. Pretty much all the engine management electronics from the donor vehicle with the AZG. I'm sure most had evolved from the introduction of the AEG. I'm sure there are those much more learned than myself in regards to engine series swaps.

#3 ·
This link; seems to be saying.... the main difference is throttle cable vs. fly by wire on the two engines (does your beetle have a throttle cable?):

Will azg engine work in aeg vw jetta

http://forums.triplezoom.com/showthread.php?3574098-2.0L-Engine-Swap-AEG-vs-AZG

How about just finding the same engine at a junk yard; same for same swap... without the hassles? Who knows; they made take the other engine in trade or ?

You might post this question here; some very knowledgeable people on there (if its been done; they probably have done it) : VWVortex.com - 2.0 Liter Engine Forum

#4 ·
You have 2 ways to swap. First is to swap the long block. AEG and AZG share the same long block. However in this way you are trying to convert the AZG to an AEG and making no improvement, which means you just fixed your car's overheating problem. If you compare the work involved in swapping the long block and fixing the head gasket and cyl head, you might find that they are some way the same ... The other way is to do a complete swap. This would involve swapping the whole engine, ECM, and even wiring harness, etc. This is a lot of work and requires some knowledge and skills. However this won't make too much improvement to your vehicle.

I recommend you do fix your existing engine instead of doing swapping. Head gasket is not a big work and most of time after you fix it would work good. God knows the donated engine has any problems. 41K miles doesn't mean it's good.

#6 ·
i honestly would just fix what I have but this car was severely overheated. there was maybe a cup of coolant in the radiator. it got so hot on the highway that it shut off and then would not start back up. i am getting the azg engine for 100 because it is taking up space. i heard it run before it was pulled out. and it also has a broken AC?? boss which i can weld no big deal. doing the work to switch it all over would not be that big of a deal but the only difference between bare long blocks are oil squirters in the azg. i work at a European repair shop so doing the work is no big deal. i have done a few head gaskets on the 2.0 but they were not over heated this bad. cylinder 1 35psi of compression and cylinder 4 has 85. Bentley manual says 100 psi is at service limits so i assume something else is wrong or the cylinder head is severely warped. i have never done a 2.0 motor swap in a new beetle. i have done a 5 speed TDI engine and had to drop it all out. can I leave the trans in the car and just drop out the engine or is that too difficult? or pull the engine and trans as a whole easier? also do i leave the harness in the car and pull it all off the engine or does it unplug somewhere? also this is an auto car so i dont have to try and sneak out the input shaft past the clutch and flywheel.

#7 ·
Mine was 5 speed so I pulled my whole trans out. I think it would be easier to bolt and unbolt everything out of the engine bay seeing as it's really small. Every single harness wore or anything leave in. Believe me you won't get mixed up outing them back in the right spots they are are designated to a certain area and are usually just one fit each. It's not a difficult swap either putting everything on the new block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.