NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the same issue as the thread titled "No Crank (No Start)".

I have a 2001 Beetle 2.0L Manual. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one. It is all re-assembled and I want to test-start it before I button it all back up.

When I turn the key on, all lights on the dash come on and I can hear the whirring under the hood of electrically motorized things.

I have re-attached the clutch, and bled the clutch hydraulics. The clutch seems to function properly.

When I turn the key to crank the engine, I hear a "Click" but no crank. There is a battery light that comes on in the instrument cluster.

After I release the key and let it snap back to the normal "on" position, I can no longer turn it forward to crank the engine. I have to turn it completely off and start over again.

I have checked the battery and it is fine. To be sure I attached a computer controlled charger to it and it ran through the charging cycle to 100%.

Here are pictures...

Before I attempt starting the engine...

After I attempt to crank the engine. Notice the little dim, red battery light on the left. At this point, the key is locked and cannot be turned forward again, without turning it all the way off and starting over again.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There is a thin wire that is connected to the starter right beside where the big battery wire is fastened, did you reconnect that one also?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a thin wire that is connected to the starter right beside where the big battery wire is fastened, did you reconnect that one also?
Yes. It has a little metal bail on it that retains it. I had to remove it to reconnect the big battery wire but I snapped it back on after.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Something didn’t get reconnected would be my guess. How about the big ground on top of the bell housing? Tightened down?

The fuse panel on top of the battery?

The alternator wires are all reattached?

You’ll need to go back through and recheck all your wires and connections, looking for an unconnected wire or one that you forgot to tighten.

That key lock is normal.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,009 Posts
Clutch switch connected?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about the big ground on top of the bell housing? Tightened down?
Big ground?!? What big ground? he asked himself, not remembering one.

Apparently when the engine/tranny went back in, the ground wire got pushed down and tucked into an invisible spot. A spot from which it was tough to extricate it, mind you.

But once I got it twisted back into the proper location and connected it to the transmission, "VROOM VROOM"!!!

Thanks! 😍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch switch connected?
Yes. Thanks for your reply. I wanted to make sure I thanked you for replying. I double-checked everything and it was the heavy-gauge ground wire on the transmission. When I slid the new engine and tranny in, it got tucked underneath into an invisible spot and I missed it. Thanks to you and TheJarhead, my wife's Beetle runs again!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good job. I'm glad it was simple and you found it. Your'e not the only one who has forgotten to reconnect that big ground, I just did my daughters clutch on her beetle and I made sure I connected that ground before I tried to restart it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same issue as the thread titled "No Crank (No Start)".

I have a 2001 Beetle 2.0L Manual. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one. It is all re-assembled and I want to test-start it before I button it all back up.

When I turn the key on, all lights on the dash come on and I can hear the whirring under the hood of electrically motorized things.

I have re-attached the clutch, and bled the clutch hydraulics. The clutch seems to function properly.

When I turn the key to crank the engine, I hear a "Click" but no crank. There is a battery light that comes on in the instrument cluster.

After I release the key and let it snap back to the normal "on" position, I can no longer turn it forward to crank the engine. I have to turn it completely off and start over again.

I have checked the battery and it is fine. To be sure I attached a computer controlled charger to it and it ran through the charging cycle to 100%.

Here are pictures...

Before I attempt starting the engine...

View attachment 249379

After I attempt to crank the engine. Notice the little dim, red battery light on the left. At this point, the key is locked and cannot be turned forward again, without turning it all the way off and starting over again.

View attachment 249378
Mine did the same thing. I took the cables off over night. And when i hooked them back up, both of them at the same time. Then i used the key and locked and unlocked driver door. And also the hatchback . the hatchback is suppose to deactivate the antitheft. So the car will and you should hear the fuelpump. You hear that. It should start. And my key has to ne turned off and back on also, if it don't start the first time. Think its a safety for the starter. If you can, charge the battery over night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts