VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if all the 2001 AVH engine powered beetles came with a low engine oil level sensor on the bottom of the oil pan ? I'm working on my niece's car ,and the pan has the low oil sensor installed ,but no wires going to it . I've researched parts applications re the oil pan and found there's two pans listed for that engine . one with ,and one without the low oil probe . The pan was supposedly replaced about a year and half ago (not by me ) . It looks like a used (salvage yard ) special to me . any chance this engine originally came without a low oil probe ? ,and if it did where would the wires connecting the sensor to the engine wire harness be located ? Thanks ,billyi

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It is possible; that the engine is a used one, we are finding people swapping engines from Audi's and higher end vehicles, that had oil sensors in them.

You might look up the oil pan on VW's parts website and see if the oil sensor is included or look at the service manuals, see if it is shown as well.

Volkswagen National eStore

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

You might check the engine and see if you can find a engine code, stamped on the head or on the timing belt cover sticker:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-7192011vw.pdf

 1998-2005 Beetle 2.0 engines AEG, AVH, AZG,
BDC, BEV, BGD

 1999-2010 Golf, Golf City 2.0 engines ABA, AEG,
AVH, AZG, BEV

 1999-2009 Jetta, Jetta City 2.0 engines ABA,
AEG, AVH, AZG, BBW, BEV, BPY

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I don't know of any mk4 VW that came with an oil level sensor in the states. Maybe higher trim level cars. But not sure of any Beetle with it. I would bet that it doesn't have one and someone just grabbed a pan, not paying attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts