VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone on here can point me in the direction of someone willing to help me with this issue without making me feel super bad about it.

I had posted back in June; On my way from Chicago to Bloomington, Indiana, my bug started overheating. I pulled off the highway to the first shop I saw (Never the right choice )

Almost immediately they came out and said it was a wiring thing but should only be about 300.00 and an hours work.

By 5 o clock they had my wiring system so messed up they tried telling me it would be more than a 1000 to fix. I told them no to the work and the mechanic rigged the fan directly to the battery for me to manually turn it off and on. Which also turned off my windshield wipers but we aren't going into that.

I ended up taking it to a great little shop in Bloomington. He said the original issue was that a fuse had blown and he fixed that and the windshield issue. To spare me the headache and money of having to get her completely re wired he ran the wiring from the fan to a switch he put inside my driver's side panel so I can manually turn the fans off and on.

This has worked since June, with only two times a need to change to a higher voltage switch.
I have even driven her cross country from NJ to the Bay Area.

Here is the issue: The fan is turning on via the switch intermittently. This happened once before and it was that the connection was loose. It was a five minute fix.

I am here in Marin County/Sonoma County surrounded by VW's and VW shops and have only found one willing to work on her and he is out on a medical leave. Other than them no one else will look.

I am planning to get the proper rewiring done once I begin my new position out here in a couple weeks, but in the meantime I need to have the fan working even if its a rig job, especially with the stop and go traffic here.

If there is anyone in the area who would be willing to take a look, or who could suggest a shop that could, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for reading all of this but wanted you to have the back story.

Karen and Ylellobug

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fans

IMO I believe the fans themselves need to be replaced. When they get old they start binding and they pull too much current and so the wiring get's hot and so will the fuse. when you get the whole thing rewired make sure you replace both fans especially if they are the originals. That's my 2 cents on this.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
There are several sensors and a fan control module that would need to be tested. If you get the car scanned some of those might up in the fault list.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts