NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 new beetle, 5 speed manual, 2.0 gas engine. I've been having some trouble and need some suggestions.

It would intermittently lose power when driving. The engine would idle fine, but stepping on the gas did nothing. Engine idles fine but stepping on the gas it would not rev. Shutting off and restarting used to fix it. Then letting it sit for a few minutes would correct it. Then it got to the point that if I disconnected the black battery cable would fix it. Now, I can't get it moving. It still idles, sometimes fine, sometimes just dies, but again, accelerating, it will not rev.

Someone suggested that I need a new throttle body or throttle sensor. I don't want to put part after part in it and not have it fixed.

ANY suggestions would be great so I can get my bug running. Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you have a VAG-COM, you can diagnose in this way:

Go to (08)Measurement Block, select group 098 then watch the throttle position while you depress the gas pedal. If the position goes up accordingly with your depress then the throttle sensor is OK. If it doesn't then the throttle sensor is not working. Maybe it's a loose connection or needs cleaning...

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have a VAG-COM or have access to one. Is there anything else I might be able to do?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I do not have a VAG-COM or have access to one. Is there anything else I might be able to do?

Then get one. You can buy a cable from ebay for around $15 then download VCDS-Lite from Ross-tech with your laptop. It's free for non-commercial use according to their website and the free version is enough. It's much better than trying to replace parts while you don't know what's wrong.

Cable that I use:
VAG-COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 USB Cable Auto Scanner Scan Tool Audi VW SEAT Volkswagen | eBay

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D2Beetle,

I had the mass air flow replaced about 6 months ago. Other than that, nothing. I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with it and am hoping I can find out. Someone suggested throttle body, but in reading, I saw throttle sensor, so I'm confused.

If I buy the cable, then do I use the program from my computer?

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Go out and disconnect your MAF sensor. If it runs perfect after that, you got a fualty MAF sensor. Is it OEM? This is one of those parts that an aftermarket one just doesn't cut it. Hope that works. :D

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
geniushanbiao

Ordered the cable from ebay. Not bad, $12.59. Was really hoping to get this car running today or tomorrow since it is my main mode of transportation. Thanks so much for the info.

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't work

Opelmania,

I disconnected the MAF which did not make a difference. It starts up and idles ok (rough but doesn't cut off), and still no RPM's when giving it gas. :(

·
Registered
512 Posts
geniushanbiao

Ordered the cable from ebay. Not bad, $12.59. Was really hoping to get this car running today or tomorrow since it is my main mode of transportation. Thanks so much for the info.

No problem and with pleasure. If you have any troubles using that cable tell me I'll help you out. This cable is somewhat tricky on some computers but I managed to use it successfully. Most of time VW cars need VAG-COM to do work so it's better to get one.

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem and with pleasure. If you have any troubles using that cable tell me I'll help you out. This cable is somewhat tricky on some computers but I managed to use it successfully. Most of time VW cars need VAG-COM to do work so it's better to get one.
Awe, thank you so much for the offer to help me. I'm not stupid, can use a computer and like to fix my car myself if I can (I'm not afraid to try!). Taking this to the VW dealer would absolutely break me. They want $95 just to reprogram one of my keys. They wanted $50 to pop my radio out to get the reset code and the tools to do it myself cost $3.00 on ebay. They wanted $80.00 to change a headlight bulb. I like to learn to do stuff myself! And with your help and the other nice people here I WILL get my car running! ;)

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Opelmania,

I disconnected the MAF which did not make a difference. It starts up and idles ok (rough but doesn't cut off), and still no RPM's when giving it gas. :(
Figured it was an easy try. Sorry it didn't work. :( Vacuum lines changed? Are those included with hoses replaced? Massive vacuum leak maybe, but weird no CEL. I don't know why you don't have one on? :confused:

·
I love my skunk!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured it was an easy try. Sorry it didn't work. :( Vacuum lines changed? Are those included with hoses replaced? Massive vacuum leak maybe, but weird no CEL. I don't know why you don't have one on? :confused:
what is CEL? Haven't had any hoses or lines replaced.

Is there a way, if I get my throttle body removed, to tell if it is bad?

·
Registered
512 Posts
what is CEL? Haven't had any hoses or lines replaced.

Is there a way, if I get my throttle body removed, to tell if it is bad?

CEL stands for Check Engine Light. Theoretically you can remove throttle body and measure the resistances to tell whether it's bad or not. However once the body comes off the gasket needs to be replaced while the gasket itself is neither cheap nor easy to buy. And it's easier to just read it using a computer. You don't wanna waste your money on the gasket right?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Crankshaft positioning sensor.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Crankshaft Position > ES#252763 Crankshaft Position Sensor - 06A906433C

Good luck with those cheap E-Bay Vag Com Cables. They don't work well with Windows 7 or Vista 64 bit systems. I did get mine finally to work using VWWare and installing Windows XP in a Virtual environment. But the latency is soooo slow that the Vag Com software cuts out and is very very slow. Plus the shareware version doesn't do diddly. I tried to program my second keyfob and it told me that I need the registered version to do it. So this "FREE" version of the VCDS lite software is very very limited. When I get some extra cash I may get the real thing one day.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I told you I work with the cable using windows 7 ultimate x64 and I don't need winxp compatibility mode.:p

I think the throttle driven only by wires and motor is called ETC(electronic throttle controll) in some other manufacturers. Government claim that ETC is more safe but the fact is we seldom(At least I never heard about) have stuck throttle due to bad cable but Toyota had the gas pedal problem. My father has a 05 Corolla with ETC and manual transmission when I drive this car I can notice the delay between gas pedal depression and engine rev up which sometimes cause me to stall the engine during start-up at the beginning....Also it's difficult to control engine rpm while on the cable-driven throttles I can easily control the rpm. I think the main reason they installed ETC is that it can prevent you from heavy acceleration thus save some gas...

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
LOL :p. Cute... I don't think it's flying by any wires ;)

The term is "Drive by Wire" and yes all New Beetle's have the electronic DBW system.
Beg to differ. My car is a 2001 and is a cable and i will always keep it that way if possible.

The reason i say is that if it is a cable you can rule out the sensor in the gas pedal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts