NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD ED
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a unusual situation with my car and couldn't find any posts that answer my question so I thought I'd ask. Here's the deal:

I had to have a new engine put in my bug about 2 years ago after the water pump failed and the engine completely broke (I have since put in a metal-impeller water pump that wont shatter like the stock one). I had the swap done at a dealership in Parkersburg WV and they put in an engine with a different engine code. I now have an AWP engine in my car. I love the added power
but my check engine light is now on and I can't pass inspection in PA where I now live.

I had a vw mechanic check the error code and it came back as a malfunction in the turbo system. This was also a couple years ago so I don't remember the specific code (sorry).

I'm thinking that the different turbo (k03s vs k03) and the increased boost pressure of the new engine is tripping the check engine light because my ecu is set-up for the 150hp engine and not the 180hp. Does anyone know a solution for this?

Would getting the car "chipped" fix it?

If I buy a VAG-COM could I clear the code and pass inspection in PA? (I don't know if the inspection involves any test that would cause the turbo to spool and trip the code again)

Also,(semi-unrelated but curious)is the 5 speed gearbox that came with my car not a good match for an engine that is supposed to be with a six-speed?

Thanks for any and all help!

-garvitron

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
well im going out on a limb here but most people say that adding power to a stock computer will cause problems bring it back and spend the $100 to have the computer flashed for the 180hp engine trust me i beleave you will feel a gain ass well cus the computer is only letting so much fuel in the engine cus it is set for the 150hp engine make sence to me less fuel will cause the turbo react diffrently not much power to spool the turbo up properly wich prolly would cause a code to come up that would be my guess but there are people here that know lots more then me .... but if you went to a dealer to have it checked out they should give you a salution right?

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that I could get the software flashed for only $100. I thought that it generally runs $500+ for that...

I am trying to stay away from the dealerships because they have ripped me off in the past and the dealer that did the swap told me that the CEL was "nothing to worry about". I didn't know at the time that it would cause me to fail inspection. Now that I know, I feel totally screwed over by them :mad: . I would take it to them and complain but I live 8+ hours away now.

It would be cool if getting the software flashed would give me more power. I have been wanting to have it flashed anyway by giac or a similar company. Maybe now I have a good excuse to do it :D Does anyone know if these tuning company's software would fix the problem?

One thing that might tell you guys something is that after the swap the turbo blowoff became much more noticeable. There is a distinct fluttering sound. Is this is normal for the AWP?

Attachments

·
2,646 Posts
garvitron, first off--there is no real mechanical difference between a 2001 AWV and any year AWP--it has the exact same turbo (KO3S)--the extra HP of an AWP is all ECU programming. The KO3 turbo was stopped at the 2000 model year. An AWP run on AWV ECU and programming would make 150HP--your problems have nothing to do with your replacement 1.8Ts engine code. So, you have other issues--go to Autozone and get the codes pulled and come back w/ a code number...but, off hand "fluttering" sounds like a bad DV (divertor valve). If it's actually surging it could be an N75, vacuum leak(s), wastegate function, etc.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update---got the codes

Ok so I went to autozone today and had the cel codes checked. 3 codes came up. here they are:

P0238

P0106

P1296

I hope these help. Thanks for your help!

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
code definitions

I looked up the definitions here they are:

P0238
Turbocharger boost sensor (A) Circ High Input

P0106
Manifold Absolute pressure/ barometric pressure circuit range/performance

P1296
Cooling system malfunction

Anyone know any possible causes/ fixes for these?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts