VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 new beetle and I am trying to sell it. Just paid to have a pre-inspection done, and everything is good except the computer system won't allow for a smog. Paid $200 for that, paid $100 for a new battery, and now the more I pay the less I am going to get back on this piece of **** all because of the god damn morons who made this god damn pos car!! This god damn car has nothing wrong with it at all, and would pass any smog, but I can't even smog it to re-register it to then sell it because of the stupid *******s who programmed the computer. The car is only worth 2100-2800 on kbb, and I am losing money just trying to re-register it to sell it. Telling them to fix the computer would be another $500. This is bull****, and I god damn hate VW cause of this. And WTF does it cost $165 to re-register this POS from 2001?!?!?!? God damn DMV, surprise you car fanatics haven't sued the living fu#$#K out of them. It is criminal what they are doing!

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to sell this car, when it is perfect, but can't get smogged cause of 3 things:
1) VW makers are ******* morons
2) Smogging is stupid as **** in this day and age, and this would pass with flying colors if I could smog it - The fu$kling rules need to be changed. Those rules are archaic anyway, whoever made them up should be sent to Syria or North Korea with nothing but a SMOG tattoo on their god damn chest.
3) The computer doesn't allow talking between the dumbass smog machine that determines if it passed a god damn smog test, and my god damn cars computer.

I forever hate VW for putting me through this hell. Those fu$$$$$ing *******s!

/rantCompleteForNow

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
First, take a step back and take a deep breath.

What exactly is going on as to why it can't be smogged? Can't connect via the OBDII port? What? You aren't really giving us a lot of information to go on to help you out.

I am going to assume that it won't talk to the OBDII port. Have you tried using a regular code reader to see if that can talk to it? Do you have an aftermarket radio in the car?

Also remember that this is a family friendly site. I'm not offended by your language, but others could be. I would maybe clean it up a bit...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long story short.

My ex BF took out the stock radio that came with the car, and installed a new one. Why this matters, is god damn unbelievable, and it shouldn't matter... but apparently it does, cause the shop I took this too told me that it does, that it can't read the computer, and that because of it, we can't get it smogged. Some other shop then tells me that I have to plug in the stock radio to make the computer reset. This already pisses me off, because who in their sane mind would create a computer in a car or any kind of program that requires some HARDWARE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ENGINE to make it work properly? ESPECIALLY A FU#@#$IN RADIO when it has nothing to do with the god damn engine or smogging. THOSE IMBECILIC *******S! As a programmer, I know this is absolute god damn bull S!

So, I try to put the stock radio back in. Well the POS port that is supposed to connect to it is different. The female does not plug into the male on the stock stereo. So my EX BF must have clipped the stock stereo wires, put on a new female adapter to work with the new stereo/radio. Well, now I am fu**ed there.

So basically no one knows what to do. They tell me I have to plug the old stock radio back in, which honestly boggles my mind. If i could meet the programmer who made this really STUPID ASS IDEA, well, I would make sure he never programs again, EVER! In fact, if there is such a thing as curses, I curse him and his entire family line, that they may never EVER create anything that anyone uses, ever again. I pray to god (even tho he is fake) that his entire family line ends up as just slaves to society, without any chance of recovering and becoming normal again.

I am so sick of this issue. I paid hundreds of dollars for a pre-inspection, I have 1 DAY LEFT TO GET IT REGISTERED or it goes over the DMV due date. If I don't sell it now, I AM ROYALLY FUUUUUUU#$##ED!!!!

Please help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Check this link out. I bet the K line is your problem.

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

I understand your frustration, but its easier to get help if you calmly type out your problem. Stop blaming VW, etc. This K-line issue is well known and very easy fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. Still though, this issue is BS. In a logical mind, there is no reason to make it so a car can't get smogged because someone put in a new harness, line, or anything else. Actually, there is no reason a car should get smogged every year or every other year anyway, that is archaic BS going back decades, which needs to be changed. I wish I had the power, I would make it so that no one had to smog a car over the year of 2000 if it falls within a certain range of miles driven. Currently, they are just raking in cash and making consumers pay money that they shouldn't have to for something that is absolutely obsolete. I hate them for it, the entire registration/smog thing is the biggest god damn scam I have ever seen, even worse than the stock market.

That said, I was being nice. Had I written my paragraphs the way I actually felt, you would see nothing but curse words and much, much worse. Being civil is hard when getting scammed by two groups -car manufacturer / computer core, and the DMV. Absolutely getting screwed in ways I can't even describe. Everyone knows it, no one does anything about it.

All that said.. thanks for the link. Looks like I have to go buy an effin harness to fix this POS mess that some fool created for me. I would like to blame my ex, and although he is a fool, hes got nothing on these scammers who made the car computer system. In fact, it is like PRINTERS making you buy or refill ALL OF THE INK just to print in black. Luckily, I know how to get around it, but 99% of the population doesn't, so they end up having to pay **** tons of dollars to get their printers back online. It's all a scam...

ok,

/endRantForNowBeforeIgoPostal

Do you know what exact harness I need for my 2001 new beetle GL?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Long story short.

My ex BF took out the stock radio that came with the car, and installed a new one. So my EX BF must have clipped the stock stereo wires, put on a new female adapter to work with the new stereo/radio. Well, now I am fu**ed there.
Blame the ******* who put you in this position.
The car was probably fine till he started hacking wires.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I pray to god (even tho he is fake) that his entire family line ends up as just slaves to society, without any chance of recovering and becoming normal again.
Do not even go there.
You are wearing out your welcome very, very quick.
I really think you might fit in better over on the Vortex.
I suggest you take your rant over there.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
You may not need a new harness. Just go through the link and it tells you how to check if your K-line has power. Check that first.

And you really do need to relax. Calling VW scammers and using harsh language won't get you far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went to Fry's, they didn't have the harness, only some male adapter which won't work since I need a female adapter.

Also, trying the 1K ohm resister, but it is going to be hot guaranteed, since the shop told me they can't smog it. This means that now I have a car I can't do anything with, even though it runs perfectly. It is all because of the Smog law. Without the Smog law, which again, is archaic and like a bridge toll (just making consumers pay to make a-holes on top get richer / like printers, and making you refill all ink colors before you can print / etc...) - without that smog law, I would be able to re-register this and sell it. Unfortunately, now there is no way to re-register it with this computer glitch (thanks VW and your poor programming), I will now have a very good car that is not street legal....God damnit.

What is my next move, Scrap yard because of an archaic Smog law? Scrap yard, or Metal Scrap, because I can't get it re-registered, meaning I can't sell it? UGH!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I decided to rip out the entire center console which houses the AC/Heater/Radio and was able to pull out the wires attached to the harness which was attached to the after market stereo. I think the shops I went to didn't want to explain much and just wanted me to pay them for the labor. Now, I don't have to, and will get it smogged.

Now we can all see what happens with persistence. Even if it is angry persistence, it paid off. I will finally sell this thing and still, forever and always, despise the person or persons responsible for programming the VW computer.

Case closed. The end. Life now gets to continue.

Until next time......

/hatingOnVWprogrammersComplete
/rantComplete
/signingOff

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Absolute_...... What state are you in?? If you really plan to sell it COULD an out of state person buy it and register it in their state (if they don't have DMV inspections or choose to fix the issue)???

TELL US and SHOW us your car pix we DO have orgers looking for beetles here. You never know.....you might just find a buyer here on the org :)

LET'S SEE IT
MANUAL or Automatic?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow. OK, well I guess I'm just glad we don't have smog tests in Michigan.
Exactly! California laws are nasty! I remember when they first forced us to get insurance prior to registering. I was but a youngling then but it was a nightmare.. still is ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolute_...... What state are you in?? If you really plan to sell it COULD an out of state person buy it and register it in their state (if they don't have DMV inspections or choose to fix the issue)???

TELL US and SHOW us your car pix we DO have orgers looking for beetles here. You never know.....you might just find a buyer here on the org :)

LET'S SEE IT
MANUAL or Automatic?

:rolleyes:
Unfortunately California, the state of nasty laws. I guess it could be worse though, New York and their soda laws... lol. Also, I am selling the car today. Finally able to get rid of the hog that stole part of my heart! Luckily I was able to defeat it in the end, and get it smogged and registered :D

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Zonkers.

I cannot even begin to form a comment on this thread except that karma has a memory, both past and future memory, if that's even possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts