VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2001 New Beetle Auto with a FDG Automatic gearbox fitted,
I'm currently experiencing gearbox issues, It's fine in 1st & 2nd, but slips very badly in 3rd and seriously over revs to the point the "Engine Check Light" comes on didn't get to 4th. I've has the codes read, they are 00625 and 01192
Could anyone offer any help/ suggestions

Also If the gear box needs replacing does it need to be the FDG type or are other code compatible?

I look forward to hearing back from you all

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
So here is the short story with ALL VW Beetle automatic transmissions, they ALL have problems after 70k miles.

Much of the problem is with valve body and spool valve wear over time. Fluid leaks and contaminated fluid are other problems.

First thing I would suggest is drain the fluid, inspect the pan for metal and find out if the pan is REALLY full of metal. All automatic transmissions will have some metal and debris in the transmission pan, but the degree if material will allow you to determine if the transmission is salvageable.

Suggest you even drain the fluid into a clean pan for filtering and reuse if you decide the transmission is toast as you can at least drive for a bit until you figure out your game plan.

Most valve bodies need to be overhauled and reworked with a reamer and oversize spool valves where needed. Also connections and solenoids may be problematic as well.

Here are the code definitions for what you were able to read.

01192 - Ross-Tech Wiki

00652 - Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
90 Posts
My first auto transmission gave those two same codes as well, and started casually slipping into neutral. After a couple of days, the car was nearly undriveable. With those two codes together, it sounds like the transmission will likely be toast. And, speaking from experience, swapping a used auto tranny isn't such a great idea - I was unlucky, and my replacement lasted three months. I'd recommend looking into a 5 speed swap just to save yourself a lot of hassle, money and frustration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts