VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first post so go gentle with me! I recently got myself a 2.0 litre New Beetle but it has a few problems... my central locking dosnt work - if i press the unlock buttons I hear a quiet click come from behind the fuse box but thats all that happens, my 12v power sockets dont work and my electric wing mirrors dont work!!! I have checked the fuse box and none of the fuses appear to be burnt out, I have also checked the fuse box on top of the battery and that is all fine too. so if anybody has any ideas I would be really thankfull.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, you might check the wiring harness for damage; the section, that goes from the body to the door flexes and the wires break, over time. This section; has a rubber sheath and is ribbed, it is pretty easy to find. You can do a continuity test of the wiring and look at the wires for damage, many people have had this common issue.

This thread should be helpful:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...anybody-here-replace-door-wiring-harness.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice but both electric windows and drivers puddle light all work fine... so would that still point to bad door harness? what fuses power the central locking and electric mirrors?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Did you pull the door panel and inspect the wiring harness? When you say the switches don't work; are you referring to the key fob or the interior switches? Do either of the driver/passenger sides work or both don't work (door unlock buttons)? A VW scan tool; might be able to read some trouble codes about the comfort control system; check out the VAG 401 on amazon.com.

Here are the fuse box diagrams:

NewBeetle.org is the ultimate resource for enthusiasts of Volkswagen's New Beetle. The site features photos, discussions, chat, and more. - Search Results for fuse panel diagram

For free service manual and wiring diagrams go here:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The unlock switches on both doors dont work and instead make a quiet click sound that apears to come from inside the dash by the fuse box... the buttons on the key also make the click sound and dont lock or unlock the doors!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hmmm, it would be interesting; to see if there are any VW trouble codes, for the interior control modules.

Members that have had interior switches that do not work; have typically found: damaged wiring harnesses, bad comfort control modules or incorrect parts/harnesses from junk yards, in poor attempts to repair these cars. For some reason; people love to hack these cars and attempt to repair them in odd ways, typically because they don't have a clue about what they are doing. It would be helpful to have a VW scan tool to read codes, do out put testing to narrow down the problem but I would inspect the wiring harness for damage and any visual clues if new/used parts or modules have been removed or replaced. We have had some situations; where used parts from a different year were installed and were incompatible.

Many times it is the most basic things that are wrong; inspect everything, test for power, continuity, fuses, etc

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I followed the link and found the fuse box diagram but I am in the uk so my fusebox is on the opposite side? how do I use it to work out the uk fusebox layout as surely its mirrored? and also I have orded a scan tool of ebay and am waiting on it to arrive.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For the fuse box diagrams; you should probably get a service manual. Seeing how you are in the UK; you obviously need correct UK spec New Beetle information. I have never worked on a UK spec New Beetle; so, I cannot tell you. These are the two options; that I am seeing online:

@ amazon.co.uk:

https://www.google.com/#q=Haynes+new+beetle+service+manual+amazon.co.uk

1. Paper service manual from Haynes UK;

VW Beetle Service and Repair Manual (Haynes Service and Repair Manuals) Paperback – 13 May 2013 by Bob Henderson (Author)

Paperback £22.99
6 Used from £12.00
29 New from £11.70

Publisher: J H Haynes & Co Ltd (13 May 2013)

ISBN-10: 0857336541
ISBN-13: 978-0857336545

2. online access: Service information/Manuals through Volkswagens online subscription service called "eRWin"; you can purchase a one day sub and download all the manuals in .pdf format to view on your computer and print out pages if you want to later.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do;jsessionid=1B9C300CF6EDB54438615DB1560D35D3.ASTPVWE1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts