NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 beetle gls wont start with the key the dash lights come on but that's all the engine wont turn over. I ran a wire from the battery to cylinoid on the starter it did turn over good but still wouldnt crank. i unplugged the plug going to the distributor and only got fire on one prong of the plug when I plugged it back in and unplugged one plug wire off the distributer put test light in the distributor it got no fire from the distributor i have not tried it in neutral with foot on brake could someone please tell me what is wrong here or what I should try next please

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cps? You say it cranks,but wont start? Have you tried checking the fuel pressure? Have you scanned it for codes? When was the last time it ran? Was it running OK? I know these are a lot of questions, but we need to know some basic details so we can point you in the right direction.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PRM502STREET bless your heart thank you so much for replying my husband bought this car for me last week this is the story I am told it was his daughters car he bought it for her 16th bday she has drove it all along with no problems untill earlier this year the trans went out so they had it replaced they got it back it ran fine for 2 weeks then it just wouldn't start again the daughter at this time had just graduated and was going to college this fall so instead of putting more $ into it they just bought her a new car and decided to sale this one for $1000 the car is in immaculate shape inside and out it has brand new tires that was bought this past may (I found the receipt in glove box) so my thought is that is has been taken very good care of it has less than 70,000 miles on it they said they just wasn't goin to fix it because she deserved a new one from the looks of things (their house and other vehicles)they weren't hurting for money lucky them huh anyways my husband was working and told me what to type over the phone in the first post as to what he had done so far and hasn't gotten home yet he wanted me to ask this question can this immobilizer thing be bypassed he has a jeep wrangler the ignition went out on it it now cranks with a button on the console as long as the key is turned on will this work on the vw also could the new transmission installation have something to do with this I appreciate your help with this as I love love love this car and cant wait to drive it he has a jeep but is a chevy man at heart he can work on them all day with no problems but vw is new to him so any input you can give him would be great. again THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi again i cant thank you enough for responding to my question as no one else has we do not have a scan tool but will be buying one tonite if it will read the cars problems without the car running someone said the car had to be running for a scan tool to even work is this true? again i say and mean from the bottom of my heart thanks so much i have waited a long long time to own a VW Beetle and now that i have one i am so excited and cant wait to get it going it is just so darn cute. oh and by the way i didn't mention that the car came with only one key and it was not the one with the remote also the drivers side door panel was not attached to the door very well and on the outside of the door where you put the key in to unlock it is really loose almost to the point of coming out and it did not have a good battery on it it wouldn't even take a charge i do not know if this info even matters or not just thought id put it in here just in case. i must say again THANK YOU :) you are so kind

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Okay, start with having a good battery in it and the alarm system must be disarmed for the car to start. And no,the car does not have to be running to pull codes out of the computer, you just have to have the ignition on. Its not a Chevrolet, just have your husband hang in there and exercise a little patience. We will do all we can to help walk you through your problems, and hopefully can save you some big bucks doing the work yourself.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PRM502STREET your response makes me smile. i have much faith that we will get it going with the help of all you wonderful people on this site. i am so happy to have you all in my corner. we bought a new battery and a code scanner and tomorrow my husband will have the day off and will be able to use them. i have read on here how expensive the vw dealership costs, and at this time we just cant afford to take it there. but i know that if the vw mechanics can do it so can we. as my dear sweet daddy always told me you can do anything you want to if you want to bad enough. and i want to fix my cute little black beetle and have faith that we will do just that with patience determination and good people like you all. smiles and much love :):)

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
immobi;izer

hi prostreet how are you I took my car to a foreign repair shop here in town and he said its my immobilizer and because he is not a dealer he cant help me that I would have to have a new key and vw would have to program it so I got on here and found a link to a guy named mike who cuts and sales vw keys and software that will retrieve my code and redo it and I wont have to take it to the dealer something called cloning I want to ask you what you think is this safe if it is it would save me lots of $ I trust you and will go with your answer can this immobilizer be bypassed I don't care if the security doesn't work anymore for the difference in the prices if I have to go somewhere that is not safe ill just take my 145lb Rottweiler jake with me he loves to ride anyway and I bet you stealing my little bug or anything out of it will be out of the question for any theif out there lol. :)

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Hi there,
You stated that you bought a scanner?
Did it give you ANY codes?
Is your immobilizer dash light icon illuminated...it's the one that looks like a car with a car key on it?

Oh yeah, you mentioned MIKE that can make VW duplicate keys and program cars? Is he an ORG member?

·
bjsbeetle01
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
01 volkswagen new beetle gls 2.0

hi I did buy the key and cd from mark who is a member here on this site (that's how I found him) I did get the skc code and tried programming the keys im not sure it worked because I am still having the same problem when you turn the ignition it does nothing except dash lights up the immobilizer lite comes on for a quick second then goes out that's where im at now any ideas would be so greatly appreciated :confused:

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Off the top of my head, if the problem is the Immobilizer, it cannot be "by passed". There is a very short list of people authorized the cut and reprogram keys.

Here is VW's Website explaining how to get a Smart Key replacement. It also explains the Immobilizer Technology.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts