NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently got a 2001 1.8L New Beetle Sport, Turbo.....I think. A quick vin search shows that it was manufactured in Mexico, and said it is a 1.8L turbo sport. But the plastic engine cover has a 2.0 Turbo on it.

Anyways. its like 244K miles and it hasn't run in probably 1.5 Yrs...got it from a old neighbor who's former husband left it in her front yard because it didnt run. What she could recall him saying was that it had an exhaust leak and that's what I had to run with. So far I have gotten a new battery, new turbo, and replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gaskets ect. for that region.

I recently moved and was hoping I could get it running after I changed out that bad part...although I got it up and running and it purrs like a charm...it POURS oil all over the second I turned it on (that didn't happen prior to me taking things out an putting it back together) ....so I towed it. Now that I have it here it looks like not only is it leaking oil when its running but is leaking coolant from somewhere as well.
I am new to this whole doing it myself thing and don't know a lot. I managed to look through this forum and youtube (my savior) to change out the turbo. But now I am not really sure how to start locating these leaks. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get this baby back on the road!

I have a Co-worker who told me the oil leak may be from the oil lines that connect to the turbo, because those hold high pressure and can sometimes rupture. sounds about right but I haven't had a chance to look yet. Oil looks like it is coming from the back side of the engine, coolant had a bead running from the front. not sure if this will help you experts to assist me in figuring this out.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
The engine cover on the 1.8T says "20 valve Turbo"; as the 1.8T has 5 valves per cylinder, 5 (valves)X4 (cylinders) = 20 (valves total). This can be confusing at first but being 5 valves per cylinder, upon explanation, makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Finding coolant and oil leaks; can be a challenge.

For the cooling system, a cooling system pressure test kit; can help, pinpoint the source of the leaks. VW used plastic parts in the cooling system; these parts, become brittle with age, heat and become fragile, crack, (unfortunately, leaks are common).

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Oil leaks, can be identified and narrowed down: through the use of uv dye leak detection kits, available from most auto parts stores.

Seeing how you swapped out the turbo; you might double check, all the hoses and related gaskets. I just replaced a turbo in a 1.8T; it came with a installation kit with all new special silver think gasket/washers, to seal all the lines to distribute the coolant and oil. Some washers were stuck on areas, like the engine block and could be overlooked, possibly causing leaKs (easy to forget to replace them and/or they could be missing).

Everything needs to be checked and hopefully, you can fix all the leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts