VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car mostly seems to ignore the throttle when driving. If you keep pumping the gas gently it will usually finally accelerate gently. If you keep pumping the gas eventually it will accelerate like it should, then you upshift and start the whole thing over again. When you finally get some decent accel it will sometimes just suddenly act like you took your foot off the pedal.

When we first had this problem we took the car to a VW repair guy out in the boonies and he fixed it by "reprogramming the throttle body". We have since moved away from him so we can't take it there anymore.

It felt to me at first like fuel starvation and, since the fuel filter had never been replaced, I changed that. That fixed it for a couple of months and then it came back. Somebody in a thread suggested disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together to reset the throttle body. I tried that but nothing changed.

I took the VW to the dealership and they told me that the radiator was congested and almost no coolant was flowing. That sounded really strange but I took it to a radiator shop for a flush. He hold me that there was nothing wrong with the cooling system and refused to do or charge me for a flush that it didn't need (now customer for life).

I have reached the end of my knowledge/ability with this car and I need some help. If somebody can suggest something or tell me someone in upstate SC that can work on it I would be very grateful.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
Have you had the car scanned for codes? That's where I would start. Autozone, etc. can scan for free. Make sure to report back with the code numbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts