NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping for some advice, assistance whatever is out there to see what I can do with my baby bug.
Ever since purchasing I have had a squeeling, horrendous sound coming from the a/c unit. Have had this diagnosed as a "dry a/c bearing or cluth bearing". Where I live NO-ONE wants to work on Volkswagens, I have the cash and full understanding of the issue at hand but yet people keep throwing suggestions of how it can be fixed yet... wont fix it.

Basically I want to know who else has had this issue and how was it remedied.

. Whole new A/C Unit
. Shorter belt and disconnect a/c altogether
. Second hand a/c

Above are the suggestions been given to me. Trying to figure out the best options. Baring in mind in NZ its disgusting costs to fix anything Euro here. I have been quoted $3000 from a licensed vw dealership to simply buy an a/c unit. Feeling more n more unimpressed by the day. How can I fix this without idiots telling me what IS to be done. I simply want to know the best way to do this. Cost effectively also:mad:

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You can replace just the AC clutch, but you might as well put a new compressor on it. Well, not new but you can get a used one. On this forum there's a guy selling a compressor that works, off of a 1.8 turbo beetle I think 2003. I'm a certified mechanic and do many, many, AC jobs here in Texas. Never should it cost more than nine hundred or thousand dollars. The bill only gets up over that if it is a suburban with dual air conditioning units! Let us know what kind of car you have and what year model it is engine size etc cetera and I'm sure we can help you out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
950 Posts
Replace the clutch or the compressor. I'd recommend sooner due to the noise, that's kind of like the guy falling from the empire state building, when you can hear him it's almost too late to look up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts