NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's the story. Had car for about 1yr and 5 months. Got to give it around 4 months then transmission went out. All worked but that. Apparently from jumping it battery that came with car went bad so I put another one in out of my old car before getting rid of. That battery apparently went bad too from jumping it and charging it. I put beetle in shop and had transmission rebuilt and mass air flow sensor replaced and some fuses. My radio was working before this happen. Shop scanned car and deleted codes and scanned again and etc till done. Oh they also replaced battery with new one. Now my radio is blank. No lights no nothing. power button does not turn it on. Shop told me I need serial #. It is not listed in book. Not sure what to do. My radio worked before I put in shop. Does its completely blank. Advise? Im so happy to have my car back on road but its sooooooooo quiet without my music.. lol

·
5/23/10 <3
10,971 Posts
I believe there is a fuse on the back of the radio. Might want to check that.

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok ty will do.. Is it hard to get too? Ive changed radios in my old neon when had but never done anything to my beetle yet.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,971 Posts
No. Just take off the surround and use radio keys to get the radio out. I think the stock radio may take special keys, but I'm sure there are ways around it (I had an aftermarket unit in my NB).

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Well here's the story. Had car for about 1yr and 5 months. Got to give it around 4 months then transmission went out. All worked but that. Apparently from jumping it battery that came with car went bad so I put another one in out of my old car before getting rid of. That battery apparently went bad too from jumping it and charging it. I put beetle in shop and had transmission rebuilt and mass air flow sensor replaced and some fuses. My radio was working before this happen. Shop scanned car and deleted codes and scanned again and etc till done. Oh they also replaced battery with new one. Now my radio is blank. No lights no nothing. power button does not turn it on. Shop told me I need serial #. It is not listed in book. Not sure what to do. My radio worked before I put in shop. Does its completely blank. Advise? Im so happy to have my car back on road but its sooooooooo quiet without my music.. lol
The shop must have shortcircuited something and blew a fuse or perhaps pulled a wire. Before you start pulling the radio out I would suggest you check the number 37 and 42 fuses on your fuse block on the drivers side. It controls the radio and perhaps it's the only fuse that is blown? If not you can still try and rip your radio out of the dash ;)

Once you do get power back to the radio you will need the 4 digit radio code. Should be written down in your owners manual. If you don't have it you will need to contact the dealer and have them look it up for you. Warning, they will charge you up to $60.00 for getting that code for you.

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where's the fastest place to get these keys? I tried Auto Zone and OReilys no luck. I read somewhere on here you can take the metal from a file folder break in half and use but I dunno how to use it. Doesnt seem to free radio. I'm impatient.. I checked fuses all look good.

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyones help. This board rocks. I used metal nail files and got radio out. no code needed it was just the 10amp fuse blown. radio working great now.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts