VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team,
I just want to check before i take the Head off,
I bought a 2001 VW Beetle 1.8T,the girl said to me that the car is overheating and i need to replace the head.
So i took the car home and remove the front bumper and saw that they cut all the fan cables, so i fixed them and the fans are running okay, checked the water pump, and its fine, start the car and it start overheating after 15 min, i noticed that the reservoir hose, the small top one, the coolant comes very slow on it, i can say it doesn't come. the car overheats before the fans get change to start, checked the hoses everything looks okay, is there something i can check before i remove the head?

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Thermostat? Secondary water pump? :confused:

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Curious as to how you checked the WP?
You would need to pull it and inspect it to verify its OK.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If it were mine here are the steps I would take.

1.. remove thermostat and outlet pipe, Then feel the water pump impeller through the thermostat hole in the block. I would feel for movement of the impeller(it should not move on the shaft at all) also feel for missing pieces of the impeller)
2. Check the thermostat Drop in hot water see if it opens.

3.reassemble coolent pipe and thermostat, Vacuum fill the system ( it removes any trapped air and tests for leaks at the same time.)
4.Pressure test the system for leaks( this will pin point any leaks found with a vacuum fill)
5. lastly I would leak down test the cylinder head before I pulled the head

you may find the answer before you get to the pull the head work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news, i test everything yesterday and everything you guys said was okay, so i removed the cylinder head, i inspect it and saw that most of the rear holes was completely closed, its like they tried to fill it in with aluminum, and installed it back.
Thank god i have another cylinder head and i will pass everything over to this one and install it later on.
I will buy a new water pump and install it for sure, also i noticed that the car had no aux water pump, is this necessary? i noticed that the wiring cable is there, but there is no electricity on them, this use a fuse or something else?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts