NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 4.0 automatic vw beetle, and today all of a sudden it started shifting extremely hard into the 1st hear. Now it does this when you come to a dead stop and take off. I don't know if the transmission is slipping, but today I forgot to press the break when I put it in reverse and that's when it started doing it. Why would that make it start doing this? The EPC light came on so I pulled over, shut the car off and turned it back on and the light when off. I don't know what to do!

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
If the fluid hasn't been changed it would probably be a good idea to get it done as soon as you could. There are some other common problems with the automatic but I don't know for sure if they are related to the problem you're having. Somebody should chime in soon though.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think the throddle body cable might have something to do with it? Because, its weird, you don't have to have your foot on the break to shift it out of gear, the shifter will pull back no matter if your foot is on the break or not. That's what is worried me about it, because it didn't start doing it until that happened yesterday...

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
That's probably just the switch that keeps you from moving the shifter, I don't think that they're related although it's possible I suppose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah because I noticed if I'm sitting on a hill its like it will roll back really fast unless i have my foot on the break, like its not locked in gear, and when I press my foot on the gas the tires will almost squeal...

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
Yeah that's definitely not right. Maybe torque converter is losing it? Honestly I'm just guessing, I only know a little about the NB autos. It doesn't sound good but hopefully it's not shot, best to get it to a transmission shop as soon as you can.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Fluid level and checking for leaks is the first step. Fluid change is not a bad idea, but at the end of the day will not usually help or solve serious problems due to the weak valve body design.

All the NB automatics have issues after about 70k miles. Valve bodies tend to be the largest subset of problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts