VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 beetle 1.8 turbo. 248k miles.
Well, out of the blue. Driving down I20, the temp light came on flashing red, for appx 10-20 seconds. Then red oil light started flashing. Oil change n tune up done. All maintainance done, all fluids new and full. Stopped pulled over. Waited an hour. Went back on I20 heading home. Well, 2nd time in 1 trip it did it again. This time, there was a real loud knocking and banging sound from under the big black cover under hood.
What is this. My first foreign car. Usually a ford truck. But anyways.
What is the problem?. Plus being disabled my husband and myself. Now I have to decide, try to fix car and be homeless or pay rent and walk. If there's someone in or near Carrollton GA , I really need help. I can't pay all upfront...but have been drawing SSI for 11 yes now. Have MS and husband has Parkinson's disease and spinal bone cancer.

·
Registered
15,603 Posts
Well, sorry to hear, you are having car problems; those noises, the lights coming on, doesn't sound like a good thing. At this point, I guess; you need to see, what damage (if any), has been done to the car. At 250k, the engine has certainly given you a good run and you have gotten, you moneys worth out of it. If it needs a new engine; it can be tough to figure out the cost effectiveness of the repairing or replacing the engine. Many of our New Beetles, are not worth that much and major repairs, are not cheap. I hope, you can find someone or a vw shop; to help you out and evaluate the possible damage, then you can decide what to do. Let us know, how things work out and what ends up being the problem, thanks.

PS: maybe, there are some newbeetle.org members in your are and they can recommend a decent shop, to help you figure out the problems with your car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
If it was just the lights coming on, I'd suggest that the coolant temp sensor may need replacing, as it can trigger both lights. But the knocking sound isn't good. That leads me to believe that there may actually be an oil pressure problem (which is what the light is for). Did you check the oil level after you got the light the first time? A flashing oil light is not something to ignore - low pressure can cause engine damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I googled the lights part of it said just needed an oil sensor thing and a temp sensor thing. But then it started knocking and pulled up same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts