NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go over a bump there is a loud thump noise in the rear driver side tire area. I assumed that my rear shock absorber went bad so I replaced it. When I was changing out the shock absorber my dad noticed that it was really easy to put the metal rod back into the main piece/ black tube. He told me that once its out its really hard to put it back in usually.

So, my first question is, does that mean the shock absorber I bought could have been bad?

Even after replacing the absorver my car still makes a loud thump when you go over a bump. I have checked the coil springs and they seem fine.

What else could it be if it isnt the shock absorber or coil spring?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Funniest thing ........

I heard a loud BUMP every time i went over a bump in the road or speed hump. I looked at everything wheels related and had it checked over, by chance i saw that at the end of the exhaust there is a very short thick rubber cable. Attached to this is an exhaust mount. This had over time rusted and eventually snapped off. The bump was the rear of the exhaust hitting the underside of the Bug at the rear. I wired it up to the mount and is fine now :) Mechanic said that was the best bet, only other option was a new exhaust. Now 2 weeks on i have a rather annoying squeek in my boot. Guessing one of the interior panels. The search continues :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
What else could it be if it isnt the shock absorber or coil spring?
Stupid probably, but check and make sure the spare and jack are secured.
Funniest thing ........
Now 2 weeks on i have a rather annoying squeek in my boot.
Put on some dry socks! :D

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
1.rear shock mount. The have a rubber "doughnut' in the top of the mount and can allow the top of shock to move around.
2. rear axle bushing allows the rear axle to move around and clunk when going over bumps.

try checking for these as you have said you checked for loose spare tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts