NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beetle's been running fantasic all summer and fall, never missing a beat.

After a recent oil change, we had trouble starting it and the MIL light came on. Being used to MIL's it didn't throw any flags up until I pulled onto the freeway.
The car had no power or seemed sluggish anyways, and would power out at 4000rpm, like it hit a rev limiter.
I'd set cruise at 120km/h and all was fine, about 5 minutes later the car "semi stalled", engine was still running ( standard) but cruise kicked off. I immediately got off the freeway and returned home. However would not ever go above 4000rpm.
I sat in the parking lot, starting the car and turning it off.
The 4th time I did it, the MIL light turned off and the EPC light came on. Car purring like a kitten.
I decided to check the oil as it was recently done, and I still don't understand that dipstick.
its a flat dipstick, which indents in, and a hash marked area in the middle of the indented space. I always just assumed if it was in the shaded area, that was fine.
Today when I checked it however, they filled it to the top of the indent area.
The bentley manual is confusing describing where "Full" actually is on the dipstick, like they beat around the bush.
They show "A" must not be topped off, what does that mean??
If you have that manual, the oil level is a touch above "A".

If this is overfilled, would that cause the EPC, MIL and power issues I described?

Deciding whether to take this to VW or back to the show that did the oil change. Going to pull codes in the morning.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I am sure you are talking about seeing in the Bentley what I have catured and put up below. As long as you are in the "A" range, you're okay.

I have my doubts that the oil change, in and of itself, would be the cause of your reduced power, that is actually what the EPC light indicates, that the system has switched to a back-up program and reduced power, requiring immediate attention. See below, captured from your Owner's Manual. The reduced power is the result, not the cause, of the EPC light.

Issues can be scanned and diagnosed, but as you don't sound like a DIY type of Owner, I would suggest you take it to a Dealer or independent VW shop so failure can be diagnosed with the proper VAG-COM equipment. The oil change place isn't going to have a clue. If something has become dislodged or broken due to the oil change you can then talk to that place about how they want to handle it.

Hope this helps.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just my luck, pulled codes P0322 and P0321, and that damn crank sensor is behind the brand new 2 day old filter... grrrrrrr.

Actually, maybe not that bad, just looked at it, the instructions I was reading was for a jetta, but looking at the engine, it looks like its kinda in the open.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
As considered, possibly knocked loose during the oil change process.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts