VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my driver's side mirror so I ended a new one. So...off to the junkyard I go. I could not believe what I had to go through just to get the mirror off. Well since then, I have no interior power to door locks, windows, mirrors, map light & rear hatch release (btw, is there a way to open the rear hatch without power?) My fuse box & fussed seem to be fine. Radio still works, dash lights come on & all gauges read normal. All exterior lights working properly. I read about the comfort control module but honestly I have no idea where that is, let alone how to test it. They say there are more fuses under driverside dash and even if there is I couldn't get my mitts into that claustrophobic opening.

Does have this, or had this type of electrical issue and solved how to fix???

No answer too stupid, I'm leaning towards Gremlins.

If you read this lengthy report then I want to thank you. I just want someone to help me diagnose what it is that has gone gone haywire.

I'm starting to understand why they call it a "BUG"!!!

·
Registered
14,613 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the new "used" mirror? Are you sure it is the correct mirror for your car/year (there have been a number of variants over the years; possibly three different ones and maybe the new/sed one is defective or incompatible)?

We have seen many install used parts; that looked similar to the old ones but were actually different, when installed, killed electrical functionality in the car (check year/part number). VW made many running changes and looks can be deceiving, incompatible parts, can cause problems.

Also, what was the nature of the damage; to the old mirror, did the problem come up then or specifically, when the used part was installed? If before, the wiring or harness or power sources: could be a issue (fuses, relays, comfort control
module, etc.).

A vw scan tool, would be helpful for checking for trouble codes and to view if the data bus, is up or down.

Disconnect, questionable new parts; do a hard reset of the ecu and see if things work again. After that, then check all fuses, study the wiring diagrams and checking for power with a circuit tester or multimeter would be next. Diagnostics, takes time and effort; let us know, the results of your testing and diagnostics, we can go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having similar troubles but for other reasons. I can answer two of your questions though... The trunk is a bit of a pain. You can remove the plastic rear hatch cover from inside. Two Phillips screws in the recessed "handles" and then 4 internal plastic pushclips like on your doors. Takes a bit of veedub yoga and some convincing but it will pop off. Then just pull the pin on the latch mechanism. I swore a bunch the first time but it was always easier after that... The Comfort Control Module, which is what you referenced as being fuses under the dash is about knee height at your left leg. Those are actually relays. Your fuse panel inside the vehicle is actually located at the left wall of the dash assembly. Triangular plastic pop off cover close the door hinge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried unplugging the new "used" mirror? Are you sure it is the correct mirror for your car/year (there have been a number of variants over the years; possibly three different ones and maybe the new/sed one is defective or incompatible)?

We have seen many install used parts; that looked similar to the old ones but were actually different, when installed, killed electrical functionality in the car (check year/part number). VW made many running changes and looks can be deceiving, incompatible parts, can cause problems.

Also, what was the nature of the damage; to the old mirror, did the problem come up then or specifically, when the used part was installed? If before, the wiring or harness or power sources: could be a issue (fuses, relays, comfort control
module, etc.).

A vw scan tool, would be helpful for checking for trouble codes and to view if the data bus, is up or down.

Disconnect, questionable new parts; do a hard reset of the ecu and see if things work again. After that, then check all fuses, study the wiring diagrams and checking for power with a circuit tester or multimeter would be next. Diagnostics, takes time and effort; let us know, the results of your testing and diagnostics, we can go from there.

Thank You for replying Billymade. The mirror is the same only difference is that there was no way I was going to get that green clip down through the A-pillar, down a channel that I couldn't see,, make a 90 degree t urn. Then make that. Wire harness come out through another hole. So I cut the existing harness that was already there and spliced the used mirrors harness into it. I soldered each connection. Just matched up the colors.. it worked fine.... everything worked fine for months except the fact that I forgot. To attach the door cable onto the lever. Easy fix, otherwise I felt good about the repair. But my diy skills only go so fast im afraid. I know when something is out of my comfort range. I'm not working so subjecting my self to a mechanics menacing repair quote (which they are going to charge me for) is something that I'm not looking forward to especially if it's something simple.

I do appreciate your vote of confidence 🙂 👍🏿

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having similar troubles but for other reasons. I can answer two of your questions though... The trunk is a bit of a pain. You can remove the plastic rear hatch cover from inside. Two Phillips screws in the recessed "handles" and then 4 internal plastic pushclips like on your doors. Takes a bit of veedub yoga and some convincing but it will pop off. Then just pull the pin on the latch mechanism. I swore a bunch the first time but it was always easier after that... The Comfort Control Module, which is what you referenced as being fuses under the dash is about knee height at your left leg. Those are actually relays. Your fuse panel inside the vehicle is actually located at the left wall of the dash assembly. Triangular plastic pop off cover close the door hinge.
😅🤣😂 yes I do remember the yoga I used to get back there and tried to do exactly what you're talking about I thought I almost.
I thought I broke it a couple of times and slmost called 911 a couple of times too. But... you've given me hope so ill give it another shot. I just find it irresponsible on behalf of VW that there isn't an emergency hatch release somewhere in the car. One more thing, do you know how I could roll down the window with everything else going on?
Thanks for chiming in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts