NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend's Beetle is a 2002 with 28,000 miles on it. She said that she heard a grinding metallic noise when she backed into the driveway. I was out of town so she used my car. She called the dealer and was told it might be the brakes. I drove the car a couple of hundred yards @ 10mph and could hear the sound of the brakepads on the rotors. That sounded normal. I could also hear a deeper, "heavier" sound, kind of a low whirring sound not quite a grind. When I put the car in reverse it was a distinct clicking sound, not quite a pop but a heavy click from the rear wheel. It sounded like a kids bike with playing cards hitting the spokes but heavier. I shut the engine off and pushed the car backwards and heard the exact same thing. I pulled the wheel and could see that there was plenty brakepad there both inside and outside. The rotors were smooth and clean. I pushed and pulled on the rotor as best I could and could detect a very slight movement... very slight but enough that I could hear and sense the play. I spun the rotor and could hear the click but it was much less without the load of the car on it. Could this be a wheel bearing already this soon? Is this a warranty Item?

Thanks for the assistance

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Theres nothing else back there but the bearings. I had my front left go and it sounded the same, I'd bet on the bearing. Get a non-vw derived bearing, I've had better luck with them. The rears for some reason have gone out more often then the fronts, maybe the quality is lower for the rears becaus ethey take the rear less seriously when decided who to contract out to for production?? Who knows??? Change the bearing unless you have fiddled with the brakes recently and not retracted the piston all the way back into the caliper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so...

Thanks for the reply. I usually do the basic mechanical maintainence on our motorcycles and autos.... oil changes, brakes, adjustments etc. I was wondering if this would be covered under the warranty. If so, I'll let the dealer handle it. I just didn't want to pay them $85 to "inspect" it then tell me it's $250 to replace. Got any idea if this is covered by the warranty? A 2002 with 28k miles? I guess I'm getting lazy....

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Sounds like your still covered, I have a 2002 1.8 and I was out of warranty at the time when mine failed otherwise it was covered. I replaced it with non-VW bearing and it runs good, change out the bearing or let them do it at least if their next bearing fails it should still be under warranty since you don't seem to drive as much as me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts