NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost my keys! Are their any options other than having my car towed all the way to the stealership for programming? It's about 100 miles and gonna cost me alot of $$$. Are their any other ways to get a key for these things? Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
Get in touch with these guys: sidewindekey.com They can likely help you out.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Oh, you are so screwed. Find the damn key!

I think I'd take off work and hunt the key, maybe for a couple days, finding them will be cheaper. Not only are you looking at a significant tow bill (you can't release the ignition to get it out of gear if it's an automtic or to release the steering wheel to steer the car) and a couple hundred + per key and FOB (and of course you will never have just one again when you get done with all this, right?), but your going to be dealing with the Immobilizer Gen III system programming, and on, and on.

Simply getting a replacement key will not solve the Immobilizer situation. Some automotive locksmiths may have the capability to do all a Dealer can do, and cheaper, but since your 100 miles from a VW Dealer, you are probably in way too small of a market to find one of those. Do you at least have the key code? It should be written into the front of you manual on a label right in the beginning of the maintenance section. By now, I'm sure you have called the Dealer and at least got the damages, so you know what your facing.

And everybody reading this - Go get a spare key and fob, you are so screwed if you loose the only one you have. I tell newbies this, all the time. (And I should talk, I'm down to one key for my Vette, lol)

MORAV

·
Registered
444 Posts
Smileybug, thanks for the info on SIdewinder keys. I looked at their website and they offer all kinds of useful information. I fortunately took care of all my key problems a few months ago after losing my only remote that came with my '99. Luckily I had a regular key as well, (that came without the remote) so it opened the doors, started the car and opened both the glove box and trunk. One thing I found out, some of the ebay sites that offer replacements for the remotes don't work. I had to go to the dealer anyway. Fortunately the ebay seller was honorable and refunded my $$. The Sidewinder website would have been handy had I known of it then, though! Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
since I am rolling with just one flip key I called High-Tech locksmith and they said that they only work with dealers (rudely at that). Therefore I just sent the appropriate information to Sidewinder. I'll post up what they say and what the price is.

I think that I will also call the local DFW dealerships.

JB

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This isn't helping the Oper, who hasn't been back apparently, but ... Being in Texas, I know that DFW is a big enough, and high-tech enough market, yet dirt cheap competitive. I'm sure there is/are automotive locksmiths capable of handling your needs there. I used one, long distance, through the guy I bought my '05 from in Miami, and paid $185, all required programming. Immobilizer and all.

M.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dealer only can handle immobilizer on 2002. You can cut key somewhere else, program remote yourself, but you DO have to match keys to immobilizer at dealer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
here is what I got back from Sidewinder keys:

"Your key choices are
new blank flip key with 3 button remote $130 with chrome bar (square button AM) for key chain flip is $50 remote is $80 = $130

I have some nice clean used remotes that would pass for new $50 (save $30 over new remote)

new blank haa main key with blue/white emblem $55

new blank haa main key with black emblem $55

$35 is the charge to cut the first key using your vin (car serial number) and a picture of the key blade (to confirm cut), and to copy cut additional key(s) $15 each

Vagtacho USB cable with instruction tips and program disc $60 (no returns) to obtain your security code and to activate new key(s) using windows xp laptop, or a visit to your local VW dealer

Ross-tech and Vagcom software do not support key activation unless you know your security code (skc) , if you have it, any VW shop should be able to activate keys for you. Read more at sidewinderkey.com"

So my minimum purchase would be about 100 bucks for one key without remote. Still would have to get it programmed at dealer for another 50 bucks

Dealer (Mckinney TX) 160 for key with remote plus 50 for programming or basic key for 55 plus 50 for programming.
So either way I have to go to the dealer. So I don't really see a benefit other than saving the tax for ordering it online especially if something was wrong with the key.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thnaks so much for putting up the actual $$$. I refer ppl to Sidewinder all the time, but never understood the programming thing, nor knew the costs involved, and now I do. I'm going to save a link to your post for future referring.

Ppl need to understand the Immobilizer code is different from the 4-digit key code (found in the Owner's Manual that is used to cut the key. When you use the Vagtacho USB cable and program disc you still have to go online to obtain a one time code from ________________, good for only that day. I read about obtaining this code in the Bentley Service Manual. A dealer has to do the same thing.

Now it makes total sense to me, how the automotive locksmith was able to make me a second key, with fob [(both new), they don't need the key code to do this if you have a key becasue it can be "read" visually], and was able to program the Immobilizer (they had the program, obviously). That pkg, from an automotive locksmith (I had NO codes), new key, cut, new key fob, Immobilizer and remote (two different things) programmed, $185 + tax in Miami FL.

The remote programming is simple, anyone can do that part of it, but I do know, that to do the Immobilizer programming or the remote programming, all keys to be programmed, existing and new, have to be done during the same programming sequence, you can't simply add one into the system of keys.

M.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also called a local DFW "high tech" locksmith that was familiar with VW. He could get me a Valet key for 100 bucks.

Again, I want to put as much info regarding the cost as possible. Had I known when I bought the car I would have insisted that they pay to make and additional key. Didn't think that it would be so costly and difficult.

Morav, PM your e-mail and I will forward you the email that they sent me. It has pictures.

JB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts