NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Help My 2002 VW 2.0 Beetle is leaing water from the bootom of the engine on the passanger side towards the front. I think its the water pump. Does anyone else have this issue or can anyone offer any HELP

Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
Water pump is a common failure. How many miles on the car? Timing belt been done? And is it water or coolant?

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Probably the water pump, pop the timing belt cover off and have a look. There will likely be a trail of pink crusties leading down from the water pump.

Do the pump, belt, tensioner and make sure new mount bolts are used. A metal impeller water pump is also recommended.

DO NOT DELAY. If the pump fails completely, or if the leaking coolant causes the belt to fail...IT WILL CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE. Bent valves, possibly more.

Sent from my DROID2

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Need Help My 2002 VW 2.0 Beetle is leaing water from the bootom of the engine on the passanger side towards the front. I think its the water pump. Does anyone else have this issue or can anyone offer any HELP

Thanks
My guess would be condensation from the a/c evaporator, heat, coupled with humidity are the culprit. If what you have "leaking" is water, and not coolant (you can tell by the color, smell, and/or taste), this is the situation. Completely normal. No worries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water pump is a common failure. How many miles on the car? Timing belt been done? And is it water or coolant?
The car has 94000 miles. Everytime it leaks I have to refill the coolant in the tank when the car is running it leaks more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess would be condensation from the a/c evaporator, heat, coupled with humidity are the culprit. If what you have "leaking" is water, and not coolant (you can tell by the color, smell, and/or taste), this is the situation. Completely normal. No worries.
It's has 93000 miles. Its coolant I have to foil it back up after it's done leaking. Also when the engine is running it leaks more

·
Registered
708 Posts
Anything over 80,000 miles is a ticking timebomb. If it hasen't been done, you're on borrowed time. Like Morav said, if it's leaking at the waterpump, it due to fail at any moment. Park it and get it fixed before you have to put in thousands to repair it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
MORAV didn't say it! :DBut, since it's coolant, everyone is right. Waterpump. Stop driving it and get it fixed. The timing belt is just as big of an issue at 90k+ miles. Typically these are done at the same time, along with some other incidentals. A reputable independent Bug shop should be in the neighborhood of $700-$800. The alternative (not having this work done) will be in the thousands. Major rebuild or engine replacement. Thiese are not items that you don't wory about until they go out. Don't mean to scare you, but this is just the reality of owning a Bug.

M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sound like i have to replace the water pump... Does anyone of anything else that could cause a leak i.e cracked head. the car is running good no problem starting or no oil leaking..

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
You can always look under the car and see for sure where it is leaking from. But if its passenger side and the water pump is original at 93k, I bet that's what is leaking.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Lot's of things that could be leaking, and it doesn't always show up on the ground below where the leak is. As SB said, try to visually find the source of the leak. Could me a multitude of things, hose, hose connection, drain valve, head gasket, etc.

M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coolant leak on driver side engine

I have a coolant leak on the driver side of my engine. It's coming from these 2 hoses that are pretty close together and attached to the engine. Can anyone tell me what they are called?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
Maybe a picture would help.

But my guess would be its leaking from the coolant flange. But hard to say without a picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts