VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the add! I am a long time Volkswagon owner but just recently bought my first 2002 Beetle (Lilly) for my daughter! She is in great condition for her age and miles (150,000) but has an issue I am struggling to resolve. I keep blowing the NR 5 fuse and get that annoying irking brake alarm and indication. I replaced the parking brake switch and no avail. I then replaced the resistor pack for the blower fan, popped in a new fuse and all was good. Brake indicator light when out alarm silenced and EPC light went out. This afternoon on my way home from work (driving the car till I get it sound for her) shortly after I turned the ac on the fuse blew again and back to alarms. The blower fan continued to work in all speeds but of course the cruise control did not. Has anybody the same issue with a good fix? I read a couple of threads about the ac pressure switch but hesitant to just keep parts changing here. I rather find and correct the problem.
Thank You!
Jason

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have read a few more posts here regarding the same issue. It's given me many options to check but I haven't seen any resolution comments. Does anybody have a success story with this dilemma?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fuse

we could if we knew which fuse you are talking about. I looked at both of my fuse diagrams and can't find an NR 5 fuse. If the fuse blew when you turned on the A/C then that gives you a hint, could be your fans, your FCM or even your compressor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys it's the comfort control fuse my owners diagram labs it's number as NR 5 7.5 amp. Controls many things. E-brake warning, cruise control, re-circ fan control, ac pressure switch, clutch vent valve, heated seats, and a few others I am sure I am forgetting. I am going to checkout each switch if they are good then I will do a continuity check on the wiring. Basically i know what I need to doing I was just hoping someone knew of a conmon problem associated with this fuse. I will get it scanned today before i get started to hopefully narrow the path. I will post all results and findings for future reference. The low speed fan resistor pack was a separate problem looks like powered by fuse 9.
Thanks for the response guys!
Jason

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I disconnected the 3 pin connector ( ac pressure switch in the manual) from the switch drive for an hour and no fuse blowing issues. My next step is to change out the ac pressure switch after a few more miles to ensure no more fuse issues. Does anybody know if you have to recover the refrigerant to change this switch? I believe you do not have to but want to be sure before I start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well back to square one Nr5 fuse blown again and brand new resistor pack burnt again. I have to wonder is the blower fan isn't drawing to much amperage and causing all of this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disconnected blower motor. Drove 30 miles and no fuse issues. If tomorrow proves the same I will order blower fan and post results.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
resistor pack

good to see you are making progress here. Double check that knob for the blower selection I have heard of those also shorting out and causing a fire, I know I read it some time back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Center dash out blower control switch accessed don't see any sign of arcing from a short. Not yet quite possative but still leaning towards blower motor. I did rule out recirc servo switch had it connected today and energized and fuse did not blow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything checks out only short is in the fan blower motor. Parts on order I will post after the install. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Electrical gremlins are sometimes difficult to sort out, but it sounds like you are on the right track with this one. Let us know if the new blower motor solves your problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts