NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a 2002 Beetle and I quiet like the thing. My partner has taken to calling it the Panda bug because of its B/W body. I am not sure if it is a GL or GLS but it is the 2.0L auto version. It has 140K on the Odom. I know it is past due for a timing belt, water pump, and new plugs. and I plan on going ahead and doing a oil change while doing all that. Is there anything else I should take care of at this mileage? Also below are some other questions I have about the more specific jobs.

Timing belt.
I plan on buying the parts from FCPerou. I dont want to chance blowing my car by using chinusm part on this. I have also watched a few different videos on the process but have a few questions still.
1) I plan on buying the belt, water pump, 2 bottles of coolant, and a new pensioner. I see the kit on FCPerou has more stuff in it but it is on back order. I see it has a crank and cam seal. are these needed? from my understanding I shouldn't have to take those pulleys off so the seals shouldn't need to be replaced. Or am I missing something?
2) I know the bolts on engine mount are one use only. When i go to the engine mount bolt kit on FCPerou it says that it does not fit my car. Can someone please point me in the direction of what bolts I need?
3) I expect when I remove the water pump to lose some coolant will two bottles be enough to replace this or should i get more?
4) Im a fairly large guy at 250lb and have the coordination of a crossed eye monkey. So anything I can do to make the job of squeezing into tight spaces easier I want to do. Would it be beneficial to remove the passenger fender to get better access to the timing cover and what not? or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Brakes
1) The panda bug has very weak brakes. I come very close to bottoming out before the brake grabs with any significance. and also if i brake while say turning into a parking spot i can fell a shake in the pedal only. Any ideal what this could indicate? Low pads, Brake bleed, bad master cylinder?

A/C
It is summer here in VA and it was a bad time to find out that the panda bug has no AC. If the other questions haven't given it away i am fairly new to the car repair scene and i am a less then great paid government employee. So before i spend money on one of those recharge kits. I wanted to see if anyone here new if they worked for this model.

Oilpan.
I took it to the walmart the other day to get the oil change and they were not able to. They said that the oil pan had an Oversize plug and there was no gasket cuaseing there to be a slight oil leak around the plug. The guy told me he would just replace the whole pan but that seems excessive to me (though again I am new to this so what do i know). He said the bolt is in there tight but it doesn't have a gasket. Shouldn't I just be able to buy that gasket and replace it and still use the oversize plug. instead of replacing the whole pan?

Thanks for the help yall.

Attached are photos of the bug all stickered up. Give some nerds a vinyl cutter and bad things will happen.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,097 Posts
1) I looked at FCP Euro and it does seem strange that the bolts are listed that they don't fit. Also find it odd that they don't seem to have a kit with them included? Here are 2 other kit options from good sources that have everything:

I bought a kit for my 1.8T GTI through ECS and there were a few things I didn't end up using, like the thermostat and some of the seals. But I thought it was nice to have them on hand if I were to need them. And things like the seals you will be able to see if they need done once you get in there doing the job. Doing the job, I would just drain the coolant. The coolant you get will be concentrated so you will need to mix it with distilled water to get a 50/50 mix.

2) I would start by checking your pad wear. Quick and easy thing to check. I would also check the check valve on the vacuum line going to the brake booster. Common thing to fail and cause brake issues.

3) I would start by making sure the AC system is working as it should. Here is a good troubleshooting guide for the fans and AC: Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW - TDIClub Forums

4) Do you have a picture of the oil pan? Only thing the pan should have on the drain plug is a copper crush washer. The bolts can get stripped and need to be retapped with a larger plug bolt, but if done properly it should work fine. A photo would definitely be helpful so we can see what the situation is.

Good luck. Glad to see you getting your bug in tip top shape!

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Typically, on FCPEURO, when the "kits" are listed as backorder; you can still go to each item and add them to your cart. The engine mount bolts; are sometimes sold in a set or individually, you might call them and see if there is a set, at a better price. I have called them, on a number of parts; I was looking for, that were not listed on their site and they, were able to add them to the site, in a number of minutes and then, I was able to add them to my cart. Some, have said; if you "ask" for a 10% off discount; they will give it to you. There is typically a free shipping offer @ $49+ and a discount if you spend $299; if you need the parts fast, you might consider paying for a faster guaranteed shipping service rate. I've been buying from many source for parts but lately, FCPEURO, is coming through and the lifetime warranty on parts, is a great warranty, that can save you money in the future. You might call to confirm but I believe, you need these bolts (VW part #'s listed):

N90596906 x 2 - Bolt M10x55x32
N10209605 x 2 - Bolt M12x1.5x65

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) I used the that same kit that Smileybug linked for ECS (ECS #8452) when I changed out the waterpump and belts on my wife's 2002 2.0L GLS, with BPS engine code, Beetle. I changed out the thermostat, but also skipped on replacing some of the seals. Because the wheel well cover was already removed on this car, I think that's what made it easier for me work on the waterpump. It is recommended in other posts regarding the timing belt/waterpump replacement VWVortex.com - DIY: Timing Belt And Coolant Pump Replacement on 2.0 AEG! Pics Inside!.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Be careful on the ecstuning kits, they tend to slip in some inferior aftermarket parts; like URO, to keep their costs down, which can cause problems, as they are the cheapest quality parts available (known to fail prematurely or not fit correctly).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts