NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Replaced water pump, timing belt and tensioner. It would not start...primed fuel pump and it still would not start. Removed timing belt cover and noticed tensioner pulley moved so is my timing now off and can it be fixed and if so, HOW?
If I replace the tensioner how do I re-sync the timing? (Also, it was not driven but I did crank it alot)

Thank you for your help

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
Did you recheck your timing marks? Did you check your injection pump timing with VCDS after you did the job?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint marks were lined up before but now are not. Do not have a VCDS...I assume that is a reader of some sort..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have the Vag Diag. tool but I am not able to have a computer screen...so now what?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here is the timing belt procedure. Click on the download button in the upper right of the screen.

Here are the tools you need to set the timing at TDC.

Here is a timing belt kit that has quality parts and all the tty bolts that are required for a proper TB job.

Never do a timing belt job on a diesel with paint marks. It’s call a mark and pray.

Rotate the engine by hand using a breaker/ratchet and a 19mm 12 point socket using the crankshaft bolt only. Do not use the camshaft bolt to turn the engine over by hand. Turn the engine about 4 complete times if it turns without hitting a hard stop you may still be ok. If you hit a hard stop then you’ll need a head rebuild.

Review the TB procedure I linked above, if the engine does not hit a hard stop then set the engine to a proper TDC and reset the timing belt, the tensioner tab needs to be in the slot if it pops out then the tensioner will move. I suspect your “mark and pray” marks are not right and the belt has moved. Also there are 3 rollers that need replacing in the timing belt path, in addition to the belt, tensioner and water pump. Rarely does a belt break, often it’s a roller, water pump or tensioner that seizes.

As for vcds you need a cheap laptop to make it work, download the program from Ross=tech.com and plug the cable in. I bought a small laptop from Best Buy. $230

Do not go on amazon or eBay or rock auto to buy your belt and parts. Especially on eBay as there is a seller there that goes by prothe (hans auto sports) that has ruined many a tdi with cheap junk parts.

Your first order of business is to see if you can turn the engine completely by hand if you can, then read the Tb procedure, acquire the necessary parts and tools and go from there. If you have questions just ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts