VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2002 VW New Beetle, 2.0L Automatic
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just bought a 2002 NB 2.0 GL, yellow, about a week and a half ago. Was very excited to be back in the VW club after last owning a 2008 Rabbit in 2016! However, I think I was lied to about its condition and history 馃槥 So now I鈥檓 experiencing some issues...

Occasionally, I鈥檒l try to start the car, but the engine won鈥檛 actually start after I release the key. Just kinda dies out. Everything will still be on (lights, radio, etc.), but car isn鈥檛 running. If I try again, it starts up fine. This doesn鈥檛 happen always, and has happened both from a cold start and after only sitting for a few minutes.

I haven鈥檛 owned the car long enough to totally know its gas mileage, but the gas tank seems to be draining FAST. I鈥檝e driven about 23 miles since fillup and the gauge looks to be down to 1.5+ liters used already. The gauge does seem a little inconsistent though, so not totally certain about that...

Maybe not related, but possibly: blue coolant dash light is on at cold start, turns off after a couple minutes. Also noticing a bit of a water leak under the car approximately where the passenger footwell is, which I鈥檝e read is related to AC. I鈥檝e read that both of these are normal behavior, but with the other symptoms, maybe problematic?

My research points to a fuel pump issue. Repairpal estimates put the cost for replacement at $1,100-$2,000 - seems high, no? Ugh 馃槥

Sorry for such a long post! Hoping to become a less stressed member of the NB Community 馃尲

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should add - it seems to drive totally fine, though. I don鈥檛 notice any issues with sputtering or loss of power, anything like that. Obviously I鈥檝e only been driving it for a short time, but I haven鈥檛 noticed any issues while actually driving.

Registered
I would check your air filter and make sure it isn't clogged. As for the fuel pump I change the fuel filter and see if that helps. Also before you start the car give it a few seconds to pressurize the system. If the fuel pump is going bad you can buy one from a junkyard and replace it yourself. It is really easy since you just have to lift the back sit up pull 3 screws, pull the lines off and unscrew the top housing holding the fuel pump. The water coming from the ac is normal. There has to be a line for the condensation made from the evaporator otherwise it would leak inside the car. The blue light just means the coolant hasn't warmed up yet. Worry about this if it turns RED. My 04 beetle has the 01M Trans and isn't that great in the city about 20mpg and 30 on the highway. Try to keep the RPMs under 3k and make sure the tires are inflated correctly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SO much! This is why I love forums, haha. Great to hear that the fuel pump replacement is pretty easy, if necessary.

When you say I should let the car pressurize the system first, do you mean just keeping the key in the 鈥渙n鈥 position for a couple seconds?

Funny that you mention keeping RPMs under 3k. One of the first weird things I noticed about the beetle was that the RPMs were up around 3k when I was driving on the freeway (60-70 MPH). Thought that seemed super weird, but a lot of people on here + elsewhere experience similar RPMs? Driving in the city is of course much lower.

Registered
Yes when you turn the key to ON position you can hear the fuel pump pressurize. My girlfriend and I just wait till the gas gauge moves before cranking. My also hovers around 3k at 70mph which is normal for us. You can find paperback repair manuals online used. I have Haynes but there are others you can look into.

If you have the 01M transmission you need to watch it as they are known for problems. I changed all the fluid in mine and is running fine for now but if you don't know what has done I would just change all fluids. You never mentioned how many miles your beetle has.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ah sorry - it鈥檚 at 108,500.

The pressurization tip is great. I鈥檒l try it and continue to monitor the gas mileage too.

Registered
Oh I forgot to mention these have interference engines that use rubber timing belts. Check that yours isn't old or high mileage, since it is 18years old with 108500 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the timing belt was changed at 90,000 miles, according to the records.

Registered
Have you scanned for any trouble codes? As noted, when my fuel pump; was failing, it was getting harder, harder, to start. I did a fuel pressure test and in my case, the residual pressure, was not maintained (fuel pressure: checked running was ok; then checked when turned off, went to zero). The check valve was bad and so, that was why, it was harder to start and the pump, struggled, to get the pressure up, when I attempted to start things. You can typically tent a fuel pressure test kit; at most auto parts stores for free:

fuel pressure test specs and procedures:

If you do need a fuel pump; stick with oem VDO or Bosch with the Bosch, being the most cost effective solution (check amazon for the best price).

Look up the correct Bosch pump part number here:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! This is helpful. Maybe I鈥檒l borrow a fuel pressure kit from O鈥橰eilly鈥檚 and check it out.

Does a failing fuel pump typically throw a code? And would it show up with a regular OBD2 or do I need VAGCOM?

Registered
The most common code; for a failing fuel pump, is a lean code and you could check your fuel trims (live data). In that case, a typical OBD II code reader; would be able to read that code, another tool you could rent, if you don't have one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts