NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to sell my beloved Bug. With a new teen driver in my family, I need an automatic transmission in all the family cars.

This New Beetle has 198,000 miles, and it's ready for more. The car's first owner lived on a ranch, so it saw little urban use. I've owned it for five years and used it in suburban, off-peak driving.

The 200K timing belt change has been done. It has no mechanical issues. The engine is stock, but the suspension has been upgraded with KYB AGX adjustable performance shocks, a one-inch lift kit and an aluminum skid plate. I've has the worn rubber bushings replaced throughout the suspension, so the car's ride and handling is good as new (probably better).

Other recent work includes a new battery and glow plugs. I have five year's worth of service records, proving how well it's been cared for. Also included in the sale are two sets of wheels & tires, winter 15" steels and the OEM Ronal alloys, and an original VW roof rack.

The car has GLS trim, but the worn-out leather seats were replaced with OEM heated seats in beige cloth. It has the Monsoon stereo. I had it professionally detailed a month ago. The Cyber Green paint has a little sun fading on the passenger side, but there are no apparent clear coat problems. No rust, either- the car has lived its entire life in Oklahoma and Colorado, where rust does sleep. I've added an aftermarket LED spoiler in flat black, for a more masculine look.

I've loved driving this car. It hurts to see it go, but I'm proud of its condition and performance and happy to answer your questions and show you the car. I will try to post pictures here, but if that doesn't work, I'll email you as many photos as you need.

Attachments

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I'm sorry the Colorado club didn't get to meet you and your NB. Why the switch to an auto transmission? Good luck with the sale. The car looks great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cori

I appreciate your hospitality. I'd still come to a bug event-- I haven't renounced mine, and I might well get anther someday. It's the closest thing I can find to a Porsche, with headroom.

An automatic is never my first choice. I enjoy a manual connection with the machine, and I certainly don't trust VW's Mk. IV automatics. But my daughter is learning to drive, and I don't want to demand she learn to shift at the same time. Later, maybe.

Now we have two cars with the same engine, the 2.0 TSI. The Tiguan has a 6-speed Tip, and my GTI has a DSG.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
A family of VWs!:banana:

We would definitely love to have you at a GTG, whenever we can plan one. Right now the only event we have planned is to carabug to Roswell in June. (see thread about Roswell)

Has your daughter started driving? I learned on a stick shift (my parents had manuals only) and I remember getting very frustrated and wanting to give up but my mom made me keep practicing until I got it. I am very grateful she did because I don't know when I would have learned. I think there's more focus required than with an auto and that helped too, as a new driver. Are you a member of TDI Club? You might get some bites over there with your TDI.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a long time member, back from Fred's TDI Page. It's a great site. In comparison, Vortex and the other GTI sites are like reading bathroom walls in a high school. This site also ranks among the best car boards I've visited.

I hope my kid goes on to master a stick shift, but I can't pretend it's a necessary skill. I picked it up easily after a few years of driving shiftlessly, but I'd also ridden all over town with traffic, shifting gears on a bike and a small motorcycle, so I was comfortable with the concept. Today, in a large city full of large vehicles, the consequences of stalling in the wrong time in an intersection are just too dire.

She was intimidated, too by gruesome tales at driver's ed class. My job has been to build back her confidence, which is lower with driving anything else she's done.

The DSG in my new car shifts so fast and smooth and smartly that I could do no better. The remaining value of manual shifting, IMO, is the way it forces you to pay attention to speed, momentum, and what's coming up next. That can increase satisfaction and safety, but it's a subtle benefit.

NIce discussion. but don't forget THERE'S A CAR FOR SALE. Any reactions, NB shoppers?

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
I have a reaction, which is to drool. :D I haven't been to these forums since moving to Oregon the summer before last, and we've come to Colorado recently. You're so close to my new home!!

But, we're just now climbing out of the poor-hole we've been in for many many years. In a few months we'll be looking for a house, I'm very excited.

If I had the money to hand over, I'd be interested to know- Is there a sunroof? Were all the seats replaced, or just the front ones? (I prefer cloth anyway, so squee!)

More pictures would be great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sold!

Thanks for your interest, froggy. But I sold the car yesterday for $5400 through tdiclub.com. Good luck...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts