VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VW Beetle GLS 2dr hb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I just finished redoing the headliner on my beetle and while putting up all the lights, the mirror etc I’ve come a cross some difficulties.

This handle on the driver’s side won’t screw in on the left. The threads of the hole seem to be damaged and won’t hold a screw in. I tried different screws and none work but they all go in fine for the other side of the same handle as well as both side of the handle on the passenger side. Anyone know what can be done about this?

Quick before and after of the headliner!

The edge around the sunroof has some little parts that I didn’t line too well with the fabric but I’m super happy with it overall!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
That is an excellent job, very nice.

You might try your local auto parts store and look for a helicoil kit for the size screw your are having problems with. A helical is a permanent repair of bolt or screw threads that are in metal. If the screw stripped out plastic you might look for a plastic insert. Take the screw with you so you can get the correct size. Also for plastic a simple oversized self tapping screw will often work.

Here is what they look like. They come in several different sizes. This one is at Walmart, I didn’t realize Walmart had them. Also Napa, autozone carquest etc.

·
Registered
2002 VW Beetle GLS 2dr hb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an excellent job, very nice.

You might try your local auto parts store and look for a helicoil kit for the size screw your are having problems with. A helical is a permanent repair of bolt or screw threads that are in metal. If the screw stripped out plastic you might look for a plastic insert. Take the screw with you so you can get the correct size. Also for plastic a simple oversized self tapping screw will often work.

Here is what they look like. They come in several different sizes. This one is at Walmart, I didn’t realize Walmart had them. Also Napa, autozone carquest etc.

Thank you! It took me three days but I finally got it done!
I’ll have to check out advanced auto and see if they have what you’re talking about, I believe it’s a metal hole which threads have been damaged so I’ll be looking for a fix for that rather than plastic, thank you once again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.