VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Newcomer here and I was hoping if any of you could help me out with this dilemma.

My girlfriends car is a 2002 New Beetle GLX 1.8 Turbo and two days ago right when I got off the freeway, the dreaded CHECK ENGINE light came on. After I dropped her to work I took it to a nearby pep-boys and asked if they could run a code check for me.

The only thing that popped up was a "too lean" code. I couldn't exactly tell you what the code # was, but I am pretty sure it was an aftermarket reader.

So far the car runs totally fine. I have checked for cosmetic wear on vacuum lines, but haven't had much time for anything else because of school and work.

Could it be O2 or MAF sensor? :confused: Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
Even the generic readers will give a code number. Go and get the code pulled again and post it here. It will help us a lot.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
engine light

It's running fine? okay easy fix.....get a piece of black electrical tape & cover the light, problem solved done..LOL :D
Just kidding. it could be a vacuum leak or MAF sensor intermittent, it could be a dirty throttle body valve. I would reset the code and reset the battery too, after a few cold starts it should smooth out and see if that code comes back. Did y'all by any chance have a change in weather up there? then there is your answer-changes in atmospheric pressures and temperatures the main CPU was suppose to make adjustments auto for proper gas/air mix and some how did not, could be a dirty throttle body valve. Too lean means too much air per gas mixure. Good luck man and welcome to new beetle.org :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha if only that were true, but I guess they're called "dummy lights" for a reason. Actually, that you mention it, the weather did change and rather drastically. 110-70 degrees Farenheit to be exact. Surprisingly it ran as it was before the light came on.

Within the last 2 months I had to change the auxiliary water pump, pcv hose, and alternator. When I worked on the alternator I had to take the throttle body off to reach it and even then it was a tight fit. I inspected the piece and it wasn't that bad. I wiped any excess dirt off and didn't use any cleaners so I didn't mess with the sensor. I'll give it a try, but if I reset the battery wont it affect the (monsoon) head unit's security code? Thanks.

Oh and more thing lol. The motor has 102K miles on it. She got it at 80K 3-4 years ago.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
I hope the timing belt has been changed. If not, but that on the list to do ASAP!

Here is some info on the code: 16555/P0171/000369 - Ross-Tech Wiki

I'd check the MAF out.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
throttle body

haha if only that were true, but I guess they're called "dummy lights" for a reason. Actually, that you mention it, the weather did change and rather drastically. 110-70 degrees Farenheit to be exact. Surprisingly it ran as it was before the light came on.

Within the last 2 months I had to change the auxiliary water pump, pcv hose, and alternator. When I worked on the alternator I had to take the throttle body off to reach it and even then it was a tight fit. I inspected the piece and it wasn't that bad. I wiped any excess dirt off and didn't use any cleaners so I didn't mess with the sensor. I'll give it a try, but if I reset the battery wont it affect the (monsoon) head unit's security code? Thanks.

Oh and more thing lol. The motor has 102K miles on it. She got it at 80K 3-4 years ago.
I think you found your answer. Mine did the same thing when I cleaned the MAF sensor & the throttle body , it threw a too lean code and ran kinda rough for a few cold starts than it smooth out after 4-5 days, I am not sure about the radio code cause mine is not affected when I reset the battery. Maybe somebody else in here can help u with that. MORE importantly is to replace that timing belt/water pump & pulleys or find out from the previuos owner if he did it at 80k interval. I would hate for you to lose the whole engine if that timing belt/water pump go's bad on you. good luck man

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you esse10 and everyone else that has made their input. I bought it at a Mercedes dealership and I believe the previous owner changed the timing belt around 60k. I will have to look at the Carfax report to be sure. I was going to change the timing belt eventually when I replaced the pulleys, injectors, spark plugs, and valve replacement/timing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cel ?

My daughter just bought a 2002 1.8T with 102k miles and the same code lit. It was running fine. I took off the plastic engine cover. The large t-shaped vent hose from the valve cover to the turbo intake hose was butter soft and ripped open by the valve cover. Bypassing air around the MAF = lean. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts