NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had my 2002 new beetle coming up on 2 years now. I love her. In the last month I have been having some rough times though. My check engine light was the first to come on,next is my engine coolant light is always blue, next two were the airbag light and my abs light. I had my car scanned and it came up with a C02 sensor (not quite sure) and a sensor for my abs. I didn't think much of it and continued on with my vehicle. My boyfriend had recently put in an aftermarket stereo deck (the only thing aftermarket so far in my car)and about a month later I was driving down the road and out of no where my emergency break light comes on and my car dies, I tried to turn it back on and no luck just all my dash lights flicker and my car clicks-I got a jump and it worked fine for about another month. This month has been the worst for my car. it has died probably 10 times on me all with the same thing happening. One of the last times it died I got a jump and it died a few hours later, got another jump and it died 5 minutes after, got another jump and it wouldent even turn the car on, I replaced the battery and it worked fine for me the last week until today. I was drving and the same thing happens everytime- my lights dim and my stereo turns off, my acceleration is not like usual, my emergency break light comes on and dings at me then my car just dies. Today my oil light was flashing as well but my car has oil, engine coolant all of that.. I left it to sit for a few hours went back to it and it started up now its dead down the street again, what should I do? My alternator tested fine as well.. is there anything else I can check myself before getting it looked at? Sorry for so much to read but thank you if you did read it ! :)

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
If it were me, I would put the stock radio back in. I would then check the fuse panel on top of the battery for corroded fuses and melted areas.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Your alternator may not be charging the battery. Can you measure the voltage when the car is idling? If not, I think many auto parts store will check the alternator for free.

If it is the alternator, the voltage regulator and brush assembly can be replaced for much less than the cost of a new alternator. Usually the problem will be worn brushes.

Edit: I see you had the alternator tested. That still could be the problem. When the brushes wear down they become intermittent. Brushes will last about 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
As your first post here, I warmly welcome you to the ORG. I read that the monsoon system can be a drain if the factory head unit is replaced and the amp isn't removed. It continues to draw power since the head unit won't shut it down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was not a stock radio that was in before it was a sony explode. Im taking it to someone tomorrow to have them do an inspection.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It sounds more like a non charging alternator and/or a bad connection or ground somewhere.

I would start by checking the connections on the terminal block on top of the battery to make sure things are not loose and overheated.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Check this connection to the battery (circled in yellow):

batt connection.jpg

If it is loose the battery won't charge and you'll have all sorts of electrical problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts