NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2002 VW Beetle and her coolant flange blew a hole so I purchased the part and replaced it reassembled. when I reassembled I noticed that her secondary air hose was cracked off so I replaced the one going to the solenoid in back area not the one on the intake. upon starting the car and driving it did great then about 10 min into driving I stopped on incline and the car kind of stuttered before it took off, then about 12 min into drive I came to a stop and would rev engine to 5000RPM and car would barely go forward but will go backwards everytime. so I thought it may have been the shift sensors, replaced them then test drove it same thing. It seems that when the car is cool it runs and shifts well all the way up to hwy speed no problem gets warmed up and will not accelerate at all. Please let me know if you have had this problem or did I knock something loose when I replaced the flange??? :(

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I presume you didn't have the transmission troubles before changing the coolant flange; the car had been driven in similar circumstances and behaved normally. When you changed the coolant flange did coolant spill down onto the transmission? Maybe some got into the electrical connectors and shorted some wires. Any check engine light? You should have it scanned for DTCs anyway.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume we are working with an automatic transmission here?

How many speeds does the transmission have 4, 5 or 6?

Does the transmission shift indicator look normal? Does it change the display when the problem occurs?

Assuming we are dealing with an automatic, this sounds like possibly a valve body/solenoid or clutch pack seal issue.

Has the fluid ever been changed? Checked?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is an automatic and no it was not doing this prior to changing the flange out. There is no check engine light on.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
As stated, just because there isn't a CEL, doesn't mean there aren't any codes. I'd still get the car scanned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the reader came back with 2 codes P0102 and P0730 which states:
P0102 MAF or VAF A Circuit Low input
P0730 Gear Ratio Incorrect.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The P0730 code would be consistent with the reported revving to 5000 rpm with little motion. I think maybe the solenoid valve wiring got coolant in it which has shorted out something vital. It looks like there is a round connector under the coolant flange from the diagrams in the service manual. I haven't seen an automatic in person. Maybe you could take the connector apart, look for wetness and try to dry it out if necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope cleaned all connections in and around the flange still nothing. its weird it seems like as the car heats up it makes the transmission stop working I can rev it to 5500 rpm and make it start going but afraid it will blow something else. Any ideas??? :banghead:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It's odd that the transmission could misbehave so badly an not produce more DTCs. Maybe a VAG-COM would be able to read more.

Next thing would be to check the fluid level and maybe drain a little to examine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I checked the fluid and inspected it when I replaced shift sensor out of it. Have you every heard of this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Well this morning I decided to reset the computer and after doing so I drove the car it was a little sluggish but then after a little over 2 miles it started not wanting to keep up speed so while revving the engine to 5500 RPM I made it home. As I was trying all the gears I decided to go down to first gear and it started to back up in 1st!!! What the heck is that???:confused:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Does the transmission display on the dash look normal and agree with the gear selector? I believe that limp mode is indicated with all the gears shown as selected at the same time. Does the transmission feel like it is shifting at all? When you rev at 5500 rpm how fast are you going?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the display is normal shows just the gear you are in. The transmissions shifts to all gears before it warms up then does no shifting can barely get 20 mph down hill.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I don't think it sounds good for the transmission. I've found several stories of people having trouble with their transmissions after driving through high water or getting the engine steam cleaned. Hooking the car to a VAG-COM will get more info about what's going on. Maybe someone with more automatic experience will jump in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I replaced the transmission filter and fluid and still nothing, however now even when its cold you have to rev high rpm to get it to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts