NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Happy to say I joined the New Beetle club back in December 2019 and after fixing a rear window regulator (what a pain!) Was smooth sailing running great until one day I started getting a slow coolant leak and flashing red low coolant light.

I put off finding the leak for a couple days topping off coolant in the mornings and going about my day. A few day after the leak showed itself in a big bad way the water outlet coolant flange completely crack and blew out coolant everywhere. Pulled over and got a tow home.

2 weeks ago I replaced the outlet and thought I was good to go. Cranked the engine and if felt like it was gonna fly out of the car checked my scanner and it said it was having a misfire in cylinder 2. Looked under the hood and noticed the coil pack was right near where the outlet blew and had gotten completely drenched in coolant and sludge from the leak stop I tried using.

Monday I went through replaced all the plugs wires and coil pack to take care of the misfire. Cranked it and it was running smooth as ever. Like nothing had ever happened great I thought!!! Drove around the block for a bit and the light that started it all was back to blinking and beeping. Oh God I thought what's wrong?!

I checked for leaks and didn't see anything. So I had heard the coolant overflow bottles are notorious for the sensors going bad so I ended up replacing that and replacing the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor because that was giving me a code as well (P0116).

So yesterday I dumped all the coolant that was in the system put in the new bottle and sensor filled her back up with some blue devil and water to flush the system fully and started driving around. After about 5 minutes driving low coolant light back on and blinking and the ECT now giving the code P0117. Pulled over coolant full and bubbling along in the reservoir. OBD saying temps are around 130°c. What gives???

TLDR installed new aftermarket cooling bottle and ECT sensor and now I'm getting a low coolant signal and code P0117. Could it be defective cheap aftermarket rockauto parts acting up? Or is this the sign of a deeper issue in the cooling system? Is the another coolant level sensor besides the one in the reservoir?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The cooling system of this engine won't work properly with just water in it. Part of the engine block will be above the boiling point of water under normal operating conditions so there has to be coolant for the boiling point increase that it gives. Another thing is to make sure the bypass line from the head to the coolant bottle is not restricted or it will be difficult to purge air from the system. Remove the line at the bottle with the engine idling and check for flow. See this:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts